Do people not like...

Pages: 123
So please don't call it a high level language, ok?

But it is! It just isn't as abstracted as some other languages you seem so attached to.

But the best part is:

why you are again starting a language flame-war?

Grey Wolf wins. Funniest thing ever.
closed account (EzwRko23)

But it is!

Ok, ok. Call it as you wish. Depends on what is the definition of HLL.
What is much more important in practice is whether you can express yor intent clearly with a few named statements or you need to write a bunch of (possibly nested) unreadable for / while loops like the examples given above. This speaks for itself, what is high level, and what is not.
Last edited on
What is much more important in practice is whether you can express yor intent clearly with a few named statements or you need to write a bunch of (possibly nested) unreadable for / while loops like the examples given above. This speaks for itself, what is high level, and what is not.

So you're telling me that what is best for a situation can CHANGE depending on the situation? /sarcasm

I guess you are admitting that Scala isn't the best because it can't do everything better then everything else. Never expected that!
Ok xorebxebx seriously, get off of this forum, or stop saying Scala is better then C++ in EVERY DAMN SINGLE THREAD. Can't some admin just ban that guy? All he does is make trouble.
I was not the first person in this thread to mention Scala in the context "Scala is better than C++".

Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
xorebxebx wrote:
I was not the first person in this thread to mention Scala in the context "Scala is better than C++"
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/29452/#msg161990
I've been resisting the urge to post anything on these forums for the past few days because a) the post would probably include at least one "x" in it which might remind some of us of someone (including me) and b) my compiler's AST is taking some time to develop, but frankly I'm starting to get a bit sick, and I will break my silence.

xorebxebx, we recognize that one should only use a language suited for the job. However, we also recognize that you are severely biased in your opinions. Don't get me started with examples or I might have to ask the members of this forum if they have anything strong enough to knock me out for a few years (for your sake, xorbie).

I personally will suggest two paths for you. One, you cease putting Scala above C++ on this forum, because Scala is NOT a better C++ or even a better Java (whatever "better" is supposed to mean) and because we came here to discuss C++, not Scala. Furthermore, you are expected to be a supportive member of the community (that definition is up to us).

Or, you can continue tempting us to hammer the "Report" button for each post you ever made and ever will make, citing your status as a troll. If you want to get your point across, start a thread and ask the posters to give their own comparisons between Scala and C++ without posting anything further yourself. Most of us are fairly intelligent and we will recognize a better language for our needs when we see one (for you Scala is better than C++ for... erm... whatever reason, but for me C++ is better than most other HLLs simply because I enjoy the low but not too system-dependant access). Your method, however, looks quite trollish to me. That's my 3ยข.

Byes!

-Albatross
Last edited on
Honestly, I don't know why I seem to be the only one to have implemented this (maybe no one else uses Firefox [in which case, shame on you]?):
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/28525/page2.html#msg154076
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/28525/page2.html#msg154202

Trolls are only as successful as you want them to be.
Any Turing complete system can do this. Database systems are usually Turing complete.

My mouth is Turing complete too. I can program you by words anything (it will take me just one sentence).

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to seeing any quote from serious publication or any scientist, saying C++ is simple and powerful

I bet there are computer scientists posting on this forum (I am not one however).

I bet there are computer scientists posting on this forum (I am not one however).

Don't look for them too far. I am one of them (well, almost, if successfully finishing PhD studies in CS counts) :D Anyway, none of the minority that use C++ for their research at our institute say it is a simple language. People who say it is a simple language are usually... students. They think that if they got grade 5 from the basic OOP (C++ based) course, the world belongs to them. Oh, these are the same students who say that manual memory management is simple (and we ofen SIGSEGV their assignment programs) or that multithreading is simple (and we often deadlock their assignment programs).

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/29452/#msg161990

It was not about how Scala is better than C++. I was about Java and C++ programmers that abuse loops in their programs.

Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
It was not about how Scala is better than C++.
Maybe not directly but the inference is there.
(and we ofen SIGSEGV their assignment programs)
and we often deadlock their assignment programs

... but sometimes you don't.
Well, sometimes not. But there is a pattern (after 5 years checking students' projects). Students usually belong to one of those groups:

1. Those who choose C or C++, becuase these were the languages tought in the basic CS course. These usually get the worst grades / submit often crashing programs. They also tend to take the topics requiring more work but less thinking.

2. Those who choose C++, because they used it some time ago, tried something different and now they want to "refresh" C++ because they are willing to get a job (usually students of the last years) - they often take very ambituous topics and then submit programs that... are unfinished or ask for extension. Recently I had a team of 3 students that decided to use Boost and Qt, their project went really well, except they screwed something in the concurrent code just before the deadline.

3. Those who choose some niche language (like Haskell or Perl), saying we already know C++, let's try something different. They usually submit good programs and do more than was required. This group is very tiny.

4. The rest majority, who take Java or .NET ("I've got a job and I have to finish this assignment fast - so I use the language I use at work"). If they appear at the end of the semester at all, they do... an average job, but usually the minimum required functionality does work.

An off topic:

The only (2 semester) computer science course I had in uni was in java (I had one course in c++ in highschool). The second lecture the instructor asked an elementary question, and when nobody responded, he started pounding at us how stupid we were and how it is a waste of time to teach us.

Needless to say, I never stepped again in his lectures (just came to take the exams).

Do you remember the question?
closed account (1yvXoG1T)
My two cents on the quasi-war going on: I admit that I am currently a student, however, I'm not even in any programming classes yet (those start next semester). I did take programming in high school where they taught us Java (which even the teacher stated was relatively useless). Even before then I've been writing code on and off in Java, C#, and Python. I've tried at least a share of the bucket and have recently been diving in to C++ as it seems to be the most appropriate language for me. My choice, not by default from learning. </twocents>

As for the original topic: I use the while loop quite often and the only reason I can think of not replying to someone who is using one, or wants to use one, is if they're asking what a while loop does. RTFM at that point.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123