Non-programming Interests

Pages: 123
Kite flying involves "concentration, stamina and micromotor skills"? What kind of kites are those?
Last edited on
The kind that require several handles and are manipulated thusly.
Snowmobiling.
Recently started with skateboarding again, hopefully my foot will survive this time c:
(don't start with skateboarding if you're untrained, like me... didn't know I had this many muscles o.o)

And I'm also a gamer.
Psychology of dreams, video games, four wheelers
I've been known to hit a pool ball or two. ;)
Pizza, video games, beer, TV, soda pop, mavis beacon, bacon, acting out my favorite episodes of the office while standing in front of a mirror naked, watching people wait in line at the DMV, scaring squirrels, burning erasers, scanning celebrity photos for signs of reptilian DNA traces, searching for secret messages hidden in the phone book, spider psychology, making weaponry out of sharpened pencils, braiding my arm hair, doing hand stands in puddles, digging for time capsules, listening for bigfoot, and collecting rare hair products.
Last edited on
Really moore? Didn't you work at MS in NYC a bit?
Mathematics, history, the sciences, literature, music (I play piano/keyboard, dabble in guitar, and write the occasional piece of most any genre, from jazz to 70's-style pop), bowling, and video games.
Oh yes, snowboarding for me as well.
Uni-cycling, staying in shape through running and the gym. Having a good time with friends!
Skiing, writing, and music creation are really big interests for me.

-Albatross
I must be one of those odd birds that take interest in everything. Perhaps at such point that it has causes me to drift from one interest to another perhaps to quickly.

From example, I really started out in school following a science course. At that time, I was already quiet good with computers, and the thought behind it was that I could better spend my time learning things I had so little knowledge off. At that same time I learned to play the guitar on my own, following a small time learning piano. At the moment I wonder if perhaps I shall learn to play violin as well.

Later, I switched to a multi-media course, which learned me a lot of creative things like photography, 3D-art and video composing. But at the same time was wronged by someone close to me. So I took great interest in psychology as well. I personally recommend everyone interested in psychology to at least pick up one of Paul Ekman's books, as they really changed the way I interact with people. It also helped me develop a better understanding for animating characters in 3D.

In college, I was still much into the 3D art, and my deepest wish was to get into game development. That school however, did also work a lot with more traditional arts for the concept art. So I worked a lot on drawing and physiology back then.

Today, I coming full circle, returning back to the roots of computer science. I've once again picked up programming, and quite honestly it feels a bit like coming home.
Last edited on
manga, books, music, internet reviews of old movies I never watched... basically, anything that requires 0<x<2 persons. Of course, recently 'avoiding math homework' has made it back to the list.
SQUASH!
Nope, not me rollie.
Ruling Team Rocket and world domination. The first American Idiot President of the United States. Being utterly retarded at times (like now) :P.
Here: "I think therefore I am."
closed account (yqj1hbRD)
Or I could ask you something. This is a non-programming topic. And I found an interesting non-programming topic in the internet at:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/question473.htm

The main ice covered landmass is Antarctica at the South Pole, with about 90 percent of the world's ice (and 70 percent of its fresh water). Antarctica is covered with ice an average of 2,133 meters (7,000 feet) thick. If all of the Antarctic ice melted, sea levels around the world would rise about 61 meters (200 feet). But the average temperature in Antarctica is -37°C, so the ice there is in no danger of melting. In fact in most parts of the continent it never gets above freezing.

Here humans write, that it should be a fact, that the ice of Antarctica never gets above freezing. What do you think? Really never?
Last edited on
No, they are stating that most parts of Antarctica don't get above freezing. Obviously the ice itself is at or below freezing but the air temperature could be above it quite easily.
closed account (yqj1hbRD)
Sorry, I slept.

Your answer "no" is right.

I made this experience:

If somebody says "never", you should doubt, what he says. Why could somebody know about "never"? The word "never" humans say, when the don't want, that something should change. And they also use the word "fact". But I can't understand, when they now measure a temperature of -37°C, that this would be evidence, that this temperature never changes.

And the same experience I made also with the words always and only.

So you should remember my first rule of correct thinking:

Always doubt the words always, never, only

Very fine, how I used the word always myself.

When you think about it, you can get some strange feeling, the same feeling, you could have, when enlightenment nears. But you shouldn't have any fear now.
Last edited on
Pages: 123