Non-programming Interests

Pages: 123
So, outside of programming, what other subjects enthrall you? I'm curious :o

As for me, I've always been interested in pretty much all branches of Psychology (though I am especially interested in behavioral psychology, reading emotions through body language and Lie to Me kind of things :)), and perform Music pretty frequently.

So what about you?
Music bro, piano particularly. I like Mozart and Beethoven, Rap, and I'm attempting to learn music theory concurrently with computer science which is doubly hard but fun.
I like to read classical literature, history and philosophy, and I'm interested in sciences (not so much chemistry, I don't know why but I've never liked chemistry very much) and maths; psychology is another pet interest of mine, although I don't really know what specific subjects, and I'm planning to teach myself music theory eventually. I've been playing the (electric) guitar since 2006 but I'm not very good (at least partly because I don't practice often enough or for long enough, and also because I have dyspraxia). I'd also like to learn to sculpt, paint, draw, etc. As for music, I like metal, some rock, some classical and a very small amount of rap.
Classical music, video games...uh...my cats?
Music- Metal (I like the old thrash stuff, a la Slayer), rap, techno
Games- TF2, SC2
Physics and math
GOOD movies
Basically all around geek
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Photography.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
In order:

fast bikes / welding / fabrication

I'm hoping to be able to afford my dream bike[1] this summer.

[1] GSX1300R-Hayabusa

http://www.spyautomotive.com/gallery/spy-photos/2011/10/Suzuki-GSX1300R-Hayabusa-Wallpaper.jpg
Games, movies, books, programming...that is it.
closed account (zb0S216C)
Art (pure drawing talent), history, psychology, toxicology, and drifting. Though, I would love to have a day of banger racing.

Wazzak
Last edited on
Electrical engineering (with programming mixed in) :)
Music.
Languages.
Books.
Movies from time to time.
Animation (north american cartoons, western europe cartoons [france has some killer flash animators working their animation studios: case in point, wakfu], and anime)

Music, I played tenor saxophone in my highschool marching band and I played violin from the time I was 8 till I was about 17. As for listening to music: primarily melodic/progressive/folk/viking/ethereal/power/alternative metal and rock (I really love progressive, a lot.), electronica (drum and bass, trance, vocal trance, house, progressive house, hard-style (sometimes, if I'm feelin rave-y).. there are many many others)

Video games.

sci fi/fantasy

martial arts.

Philosophy, global ancient history, physics.
Video games and scuba diving for me.
Oh, forgot food. I love to cook (for my self) and I'm a huge food snob. When my brother was studying to be a chef I helped him practice what he had learned. In doing so, he taught me loads and I got a large amount of indirect culinary training.

Sadly my wallet cannot feed my gourmet Palate D:
Video games, basketball, travelling and watching anything that's on TV with my girlfriend.

I like my music too. I played drums for about 7 years but stopped about 3 years ago. Genres span a few. A few names to throw out there would be Aerosmith, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Reel Big Fish, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Blue Oyster Cult, Jimmy Eat World, Cypress Hill. List goes on.

I play guard for a local basketball team. Supported of the Newcastle Eagles (in the UK) and Cleveland Cavaliers (in the NBA).

Video games I'm currently playing: Arma II (specifically, Day Z mod), DC Universe, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Driver: San Francisco.

TV Shows I'm currently watching: Dexter and American Horror Story, both of which have just ended actually and both were superb. Grimm, which is hit and miss. The Walking Dead, which is excellent.

Love to travel anywhere. Love the feeling of flying. Flew a plane for the first time a week ago, which was breathtaking. Visited California last year and it's hands-down the most amazing place I've been. My goal is to move there.

That's me.
I've a 50cc Derbi GP1 Open and I like to clean it, use it, increase engine power (new exhaust). So that is my other hobby.

Besides that I am interested in physics (my dad is a physics teacher)
Chemistry; that's what my degree and postdoctoral research were about. It's still my favorite science even though I've been working pure programming jobs.

Karate: I've been competing and worked as a judge at local USA NKF tournaments.

There's a ton of other things I like and want to do, but there's only so much time.
Math and science. And martial arts.
I did TKD for 7 years, juijitsu for one, and muay thai for a bit. With a bit of MMA for the hell of it.
I like how this thread confirms Hackers Jargon
Hacker sports are almost always primarily self-competitive ones involving concentration, stamina, and micromotor skills: martial arts, bicycling, auto racing, kite flying, hiking, rock climbing, aviation, target-shooting, sailing, caving, juggling, skiing, skating, skydiving, scuba diving.
-- http://catb.org/jargon/html/physical.html
closed account (4SyAqMoL)
^

Video games, martial arts, used to be into skateboarding, into hiking and outdoors.
Scotch, billiards, snowboarding, hiking, scotch, video games, ethnic food, scotch.
Pages: 123