Why pay for Macs/Apple products? They're OVERpriced!!!!!

Pages: 1234... 7
I have that Toshiba. Here are my complaints. There is no graphics card, the screen is plastic (not glass like the mac), it supports only one crappy resolution. It's made out of cheep poorly assembled pieces of plastic. The touch pad is small and the buttons below it suck (the mac has best touchpad I've ever used). The keyboard is loud and cheep feeling. The HDMI port went out on me already. Other than those things, it does it's job. It's definitely not on the same level of a macbook. Toshiba does make high end laptops with nice screens, good graphics hardware, and solid builds, but their costs are more comparable to macs.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I'll fix all your problems, build your own desktop problem solved ;p.
That wouldn't solve wanting to run Mac OS (legally).

I can't help but think that all the people that moan about Macs being 'over priced' actually wish they could afford one. :0) I only ever moan about the price of things I want but can't afford.
I don't have a beef with Macs so much as I do the company behind them.
I have beef with people who buy something in complete ignorance only because "it looks better" rather than actually comparing and understanding the details. I find this very common in non computer literate mac users, but the same phenomenon happens almost everywhere. If you can justify your decision, great. If not, don't shove it in my face with some sense of self superiority only because "it looks cool".
ModShop wrote:
If you can justify your decision, great. If not, don't shove it in my face with some sense of self superiority only because "it looks cool".
You shouldn't have to justify anything. I agree with the 'don't shove it in my face with some sense of self superiority' sentiment.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'd honestly just build my own PCs, but then again, I don't have 1000$ to make a good Gaming PC.

So all I can currently afford is a Dell Optiplex 755 with a Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT. I wish I was an adult . :|

(Kind of Off Topic)
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Grey Wolf wrote:
You shouldn't have to justify anything.

Not to anyone else per say, but I would honestly hope that you would have some actual reasons for any given decision where you're spending several hundred to several thousand dollars on anything. Unless of course you're filthy rich or something, but most people aren't.
ModShop wrote:
Not to anyone else per say, but...
Ah, I see where your coming from...justify to me means 'show or prove, to others, to be right or reasonable' which is why I say you shouldn't have to justify.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I'd honestly just build my own PCs, but then again, I don't have 1000$ to make a good Gaming PC.

So all I can currently afford is a Dell Optiplex 755 with a Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT. I wish I was an adult .

Building your own PC doesn't mean you have to make it a $1000 computer... You could save about 30% - 50% building your own then buying a pre built Dell computer. Most pre built computers have a big mark up, are filled with crappy bloatware, and a lot them don't leave room for improvements/upgrades.

That wouldn't solve wanting to run Mac OS (legally).

I can't help but think that all the people that moan about Macs being 'over priced' actually wish they could afford one. :0) I only ever moan about the price of things I want but can't afford

That is true, if you buying a mac because you like the OS, and the other features mac offers then yes that is justifiable. But if you are just looking at the hardware in mac's they are overprice, but the overall product I wouldn't say is to much overpriced. With Mac's you are paying for the "brand" and their software basically, people that like mac's don't buy them for their hardware they buy them because of what Mac's OS offers. I personally don't see much benefit to mac pc's but that is just my opinion.
Last edited on
ModShop wrote:
would honestly hope that you would have some actual reasons for any given decision where you're spending several hundred to several thousand dollars on anything.

Wait, since when is someone filthy rich because they spend 700 dollars?
Last edited on by Fredbill30
$700 is a lot of money (To a lot of people that is a whole paycheck), and what he is saying I think is, if you just purchase something for $700 dollars without putting thought into what you are buying and why you need it you're probably rich and don't have much worries about budgeting your money.
Oh, alright. But what job pays that amount (I'm not familiar with jobs)
What do you mean what job pays that amount? A lot of jobs do... I'm not sure if you think that is really low for pay, or really high.
Name an example of a job that does is what I mean.
I still don't get what you mean... ANY job could pay that much. You could be a janitor, programmer, teacher, taxi driver, anything. It all depends on you contract with your company.
Nevermind. This is an off topic question - Do you think a paper route would provide enough money in 2 months or so for me to by my computer and GPU?
Depends what you want for a computer and a GPU and what you need the computer to be able to do. It also depends on how much you get paid by your paper route.

So I can't really answer that until I know that.

Another suggestion would be to go to your parents and say that you want to build a computer as a learning experience. I know I did that when I was younger and my parents pitched in some money to help me build it, and we made it into a little family project.
Taking advantage of your parents is awesome. I used to do that all the time. "Hey mum, can you buy me this C++ book? It's for my education."
Then like, as a parent, how the hell do you say no to that? I must have gotten like $500 out of my parents just on programming related things. Man I wish I was still younger.
Lol Thumper, if your profile is correct you're only 17. You've got a little time left, if it's education related, maybe.

Lately I've been lamenting over the thought that I'll never again get to feel the way I did as a child, and it's only a matter of time until I legitimately forget what it felt like to be in that stage of my life, childhood through adolescence. I'm only 20, will be 21 just over a month, but that doesn't stop me from feeling this way.
I'm only 17 (at least for the next month), but I've been treated (and expected to act as) an adult for about two years now. My parent's won't even buy me clothes anymore, lmao. That ship has sailed for me. I've gotten my fair share out of them, though, so I can't really complain. I've got a stack of C++ and programming related books.

I dunno, I never liked feeling like I did as a child. I was always a bit big for my britches. Maybe I grew up too fast, but I never really fit in with my peers because of that. It was weird. I like being at a place in time where people are starting to respect my opinion. Though I think I've still got a while to go on that. Especially at my job, when people first look at me (because I'm young for a computer technician. People expect to see older people doing the job), I automatically get no respect from them. I've pretty much come to terms with that, though. I stopped giving a single fuck about anything.
Pages: 1234... 7