Installing linux on a laptop with no windows

My Dell laptop does not have a windows. The windows got problems, and right now the laptop is almost unusable, at-least it turns on. I really need to use Linux for some programming projects, and I thought it would be best if I install Linux on my old laptop, but I have no idea where to start from.

Is it possible to install Linux (having Ubuntu installed on USB) on a laptop with no windows ?

If you guys could give some help and feedback, it would be great. Also, it would be nice if your response can be easily understood for someone with no experience with Linux.

Thanks.
yes. You need to create a bootable disk that can format the hard drive in unix style (its different from how windows does it), and install from there (you will need either web access or a disk with a unix install on it). If that usb drive can boot and get to the web, it can get you formatted and on the way.

Two more comments... this is a programmer forum, not a unix sysadmin forum. Youll have more luck at unix dedicated forums in the "new guy" topic areas or just google around, these are simple instructions if you just want a straight up install (don't plan to get fancy and recompile the os or any of the advanced stuff).

Second, "easy to understand" and Linux don't mix. You must be willing to learn and do for yourself by reading online or you won't get very far. Linux is a hands-on OS, and you should be prepared to have to tinker with the OS at a fairly involved level to get the machine to do what you want.
I actually haven't used Ubuntu. Fedora, knoppix, mint, antix, and debian all have their own version of an install program that automated the process from either a live-boot cd/dvd and from USB.

I agree that such a topic cannot and should not be discussed here especially since there are a lot of options that you'll have to consider. The automated installations are easy enough to follow; the hardest decision you'll have to make is how you want your hard-drive to be partitioned.

Find a walkthrough, there are hundreds out there with just a simple googling.

I might argue that most Linux distros as being easier to use than other operating systems, the trouble being that before installing you have to download it, create a live cd, work out UEFI (thanks to windows interference in my opinion), and partition the hard drive, which means there are four more steps than you'll run into versus when you are just installing from a cd that came with the computer at purchase.

After that, Fedora just asks how to partition your drive, user name and password you want. No registration. No pre-installed garbage programs that beep at you when you don't pay for their services (and when the screen loads I don't have to wait for skype to finish whatever the heck it does on windows for the first 5 minutes that makes that little wheel spin around). Worth every penny that I didn't spend.
Last edited on
Is it possible to install an operating system (OS) on a laptop that has no OS? Yes.
Is it possible to install an OS on a laptop and first erase an existing OS installation? Yes.

One usually has an OS installer (and data) on bootable media that starts on boot the installer rather than "regular OS".

Some OS can be installed on removable media (USB), which allows booting and using them without touching machine's harddrive. This is usually called "Live".

Many Linux Live images contain an installer (and data) to initiate installation to harddrive from the Live session.

If you want to use Ubuntu, then check Ubuntu documentation; there are many sites discussing that distro. You can probably find some info about how well the hardware in your Dell is supported by (version x of distro y).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.