Virtual class program C++ starts now, please subscribe.

Pages: 123
@BlurgenStein
I would rather personally discuss and study the materiel that is available on this website because I think that an online course is more of a chore (more studying and less freedom IMO).
However, this is your thread and idea so don't take my opinion to seriously.
@CosminPerRam:
okay, option D. Yes, I suggest to use the combination of Slack and this forum.

We'll see what works best.
The forum for advice from the wise, and Slack to discuss our progress and study material. Something like that.

@orangepeel367:
So, that's option D right?

I suggest we all vote and go for that. It's not important what I want, we should be democratic.

Other votes?
Two votes for D right now.
one vote for A

Last edited on
@BlurgenStein
If the votes result as a draw or maybe we cant decide on what to study, why don't we just make this a thread where we share websites/books, ask questions and share what we have learned. This thread doesn't have to be focused on a particular source.
I hope I am not being to much of a control freak lol :-)
Thanks
@BlurgenStein

Hi. If possible, I want to join your "class". :)

And BIG THANKS for the course you recommended. I just started.

I am a total noob at programming. No language learned before, even HTML and CSS, however, I've always wanted to get started.

Goals... I just want to write some kickass programs. Also, I'm a big fan of automation and have all these crazy ideas for online businesses. Learning C++ is just the start, of course. Since I want to really be able to create my own automation tools. :D
Last edited on
I learned with these kind of things that you should partly go with the flow, so we will see how it turns out.
Having said that, I think it's cool to be working on the same source, then we can work together.

So PM me to get a slack invite

A remark for the D voters:

Problem with D is there are no exercises.
Last edited on
@sgtheosia

Sure! You're welcome. I added you to the list. Please PM me your mail address so I can invite you to slack.
Oh, and don't forget your vote.
Okay, I updated the first post.

Important: Please vote and join us on Slack!

If you want to join, please PM me your email address so I can add you to Slack.

Also, please vote to pick the material we will use for our class:

------------> Please vote here: http://www.strawpoll.me/10879400 <-----------

Last edited on
Last edited on
Another issue with D is that it's very incomplete (the option, not the language). Credit where it's due to the site owner, it's a great quick overview of most of the core language features, but some features that I consider critical are omitted (lambdas). And yes, there aren't any exercises, but that can be remedied (and there is a collection of simple exercises floating around the site somewhere that I should be able to find).

Learncpp (option E) seems like it's one of the better online resources. It has a leisurely pace to it that definitely makes it suitable for multiple semesters. However, I find it darkly amusing that C++11 is tacked on as an appendix (and by the by, their tutorial also doesn't dedicate a chapter to lambdas).

As far as option A goes, the CPA course's overview makes no mention of any modern C++ features, and neither does the subsequent CPP course (also no lambdas). It also seems light on introductions to the standard library. Very very unfortunate.

Option B has a similar issue, but I'd like to highlight a quote from their site as a warning:
This unit presents a brief history of C++ before addressing the mechanics of editing and compiling a simple program written in C++ using a Linux-flavored operating system and a NetBeans IDE (integrated development environment)

This makes Unit 1 mostly useless to most of you unless you're willing to set up (or are on) a Linux system. That said, there's no reason the rest of the course would be useless, but... again, it doesn't look like it teaches modern C++ (still no lambdas), and a lot of their course material seems to just be references to other sites (which leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

Honestly, the best option for learning modern C++ seems to be C (pun), but that has the distinct disadvantage of costing quite a bit of money ($45 for an e-book on Amazon, and more for a hard copy or an ebook from other sites).

So, my choice would be C. If I were to pick a second choice, it would be E.

-Albatross

EDIT: P.S. - My emphasis on lambdas was mostly a joke, though in seriousness lambdas are a very important feature and I haven't found any dedicated chapters toward lambdas in any of options A, B, D, or E (and they definitely deserve them). When I said that it doesn't look like options A or B teach modern C++, I mean that they didn't seem to make references to anything that was added in the 2011 revision to C++. The rest of the options do.
Last edited on
Wow, allow me to thank you for this review of the various options! Many thanks!

This is really valuable.

I want to add something to this. Like in a real study, we can also run two course programs. For example to work on the Stroustrup book (option C), besides choosing an online course option. I do know that this PDF is easy to find on the net. So we all can start free. It would be nice though if you buy the book at some point in your life, that would be nice to the author.

I have the hardcopy and the PDF of this book.

Note
I can provide a Linux OS if people want, so people can compile on Linux and learn VI. A very neat way to work with C++
Last edited on
So, please cast your vote.

I want to start tomorrow!
Let's get some more votes, then we can begin.
Last edited on
I voted.
While we wait for some more votes, I decided to start two course programs.

both maintained on Slack.

I want to start a Stroustrup class, if you care to join, see the appopiate topic on this forum and see if you can join Slack to discuss things.
Just to warn you, you may have been taken in by a troll. closed account 5a8Ym39o6 is a probable troll, and has admitted that he lied about his C++ experience to trick you into accepting him as a mentor.

Please check this thread for details:

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/195433/

where he wrote:

@Albatross
> Made some assertions that you've been learning for 8 years and that you "think you have mastered 2D programming"
I had to, even it is a "lie". Because simply a mentor cannot be an inexperienced programmer with only one year programming experience :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
An experienced programmer of 8 years saying they have been learning for only one year?

Yes, I am actually a beginner. I have learned C++ for only one year.

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/195433/#msg939777

"closed account" LIED. Deliberately. Either about being a beginner or an 8 year experienced programmer.

Even if this person's 8 years of experience is with other languages, one year of C++ doesn't make them experienced enough to be a mentor.
Last edited on
Even if this person's 8 years of experience is with other languages, one year of C++ doesn't make them experienced enough to be a mentor.

When he wants to convince someone he can be a mentor, he talks about having 8 years experience.

When he's called on the shockingly poor quality of the advice and code he posts here, he justifies himself by calling himself a "beginner" with only 1 year experience, who's supposedly learning from his mistakes.

Whether he's a troll, or has some kind of psychological problem that causes him to compulsively lie, it's clear that nothing he posts here can be believed or trusted.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
@MikeyBoy,

I really doubt this person has 8 years of experience. I didn't make that clear in my post. My bad. :)

I think the idea of a virtual classroom for learning C++ is a VERY good idea.

Having "closed account" as a mentor/instructor is what is so very wrong with this current setup.

He couldn't code himself out of a paper sack.
The sooner the more of us complain to site admin, the sooner the troll might be dealt with.
just found this thread.

Has the class already started already? Is it possible to still join if i'm already behind?

In addition, have you guys decided on the materials that will be used for the class? (didn't see a poll result)
Pages: 123