Why do we bash on young programmers

Pages: 1... 34567
devonrevenge wrote:
tell us more
I have a channel on YouTube that I occasionally upload to.
I knew you would try and be difficult.

actually you already said that, by stating you have a you tube channel I can presume by myself on my lonesome that you occasionally upload to it (or have done in the past), by saying "tell us more" i am actually asking you to elaborate, that means to "divulge more details", when one asks about a you tube channel one is often times fishing for A, a link B, some knowledge of what its about.

so tell us more, or don't.

(no tricks this time)
Last edited on
I'm tired of telling. I'll just link you straight to it:
http://tinyurl.com/LB-YouTube (it actually does link to my channel)
Do you guys know the minecraft kings? Such as FVDisco, Sethbling, captainsparklez, codecrafted, hypixel, etc?
There are lots more than them, such as Etho, Guude, X (see X's Adventures in Minecraft), Coestar, etc.

There are a LOT of really popular LPers.

Oh, and sometimes I hear the word "yogscast" but I don't now what it means and it generally has a negative connotation.
Yogscast is a group of people who do LP's, I watched BlueXepho's Voltz Mincraft LP and it was pretty good, I prefer AchievementHunter's though, even if it is an LP of the xbox game.
@Zephilinox: reread my third sentence but keep in mind the various ways society contorts language ;)
whoosh <- That's the sound of whatever you mean going right over my head.
I know full well what the Yogscast is - I watched it from the start. But recently they've devolved to mindlessness and I don't like them anymore.
Wow! Can you say, "Derailed Train?"

This topic has been off-topic for at least 3 of 5 pages.

I'd like to change that, because I actually joined this site to give my own answer to the OP question.

Back on topic... (for me at least.)
----------------------
I started as a young programmer. I was 8 when I started learning to program computers. I had to do it all with pencil and paper. My Dad would take the program to work (at IBM), and have it keyed into the mainframe. The program would be run, saved to punch cards, and a printout of the program's run would be made and sent back to me. If there were any errors, I would make the corrections to the code, and send it back.

This was back in 1974, when there were no personal computers. Nobody dished on me about being a noob (the word "noob" didn't exist then). They thought it was pretty cool I was learning it so young, as this was pretty much unheard of in 1974.

When I was 11, my Dad brought home a printout of a program that had been crashing at work that the programmers had not been able to figure out what was wrong with it. The printout (on the old fan-fold paper) stretched from one end of the house to the other. He told me what actions would make it crash, and I took pencil and paper out, and ran the program with just my brain being the computer, and pencil/paper being the "memory". I found the bug, marked up the printout, and they input my changes the next day that fixed the bug in the program they had been searching for going on 2 weeks already. I got a new bike.

I have no problems with "young" programmers. However, I like to watch a young person and see what the real intent is of this person. What's the motivation for wanting to program? Most want the quickest, easiest path to learn how to program games that will earn them the respect of their peers, without it being hard. To me, that has absolutely no merit. There is nothing wrong with game programming, but real game programming cannot be learned quickly or easily, and using a program that you supply a few parameters and it outputs a game is not game programming.

I also have problems with people who just want to learn enough so they can "exploit" other programs to either make them crash or to crack them. Then these people sit back and try to say that you're not a real programmer unless you can do that. That isn't programming. It has nothing to do with programming. It is destructive, and anyone can learn those techniques in a matter of hours if you pay attention, without any prior programming experience or training whatsoever.

True programming is the creation of something. When you can sit down and write applications from scratch without having to borrow code or copy/paste from work that someone else did, and make an application do something meaningful and useful, then you are a programmer. Visual Basic doesn't count. Well, visual anything. I mean do all the coding by hand, so to speak.

Working on going through other people's code can be helpful as a learning aid. Go through the code, line by line, and see what everything does and how it works.

I'll stop now... I tend to get long winded in my old age, having been retired for the last 5+ years.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I think that should solve this^
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
@rhapdog
Retired at 42... must be nice. Anyway what you did actually took initiative, let's say instead your dad took you to work and you just ran around asking people to teach you programming or saying "can you write code for me that does X", they would have treated you quite differently. There is a difference between learning and having someone spoon feed you, which is what most young people want ; the easy way. I don't really post with age in mind, Fredbill30 here could actually be 30, who knows.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh don't refer to me as an old man!!!!
hey 30 isn't old man >:(
ya wee bastard
How do you feel old man.
Ew, if the birth date given on his profile is correct, I was about FredBill30's age when I got started. He's younger than my youngest sibling. That makes me feel old.
I'm going to be 32 this October and I don't feel old at all. Talk to me in 30 years, if I'm around when I'm 60 and then I'll let you know if I'm starting to feel old yet.
[smug]I still get ID'd [/smug]

Last edited on
Whatever old man.
I'm 36 and still get ID'd for cigarettes.
Pages: 1... 34567