What IDE do you use?

Pages: 1234
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I use Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition.

Also when I have a study hall 8th period (today is the last day, so I didn't have it), I use Pocket C++ on my flashdrive to do some tweaks on my game.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
What do you mean by that? I only use Sublime as a text editor and compile my projects from the command line. I could never get Sublime to properly build my projects for me either (if that's what you mean.)

You can create a project file to specify what commands to run to compile.

http://docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/file_processing/build_systems.html
http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/projects.html

(seems they are in the middle of transferring to a new documentation system)
Last edited on
Visual C++ on windows. Honestly I don't know why anyone would use anything else. It's a great IDE. On linux I tried a few and so far i'm sticking with codelite. None of them seem particularly great tbh. I really want to take the time to learn some command-line tools like automake. And maybe vi or emacs.
Last edited on
ahcfan wrote:
Visual C++ on windows. Honestly I don't know why anyone would use anything else.
Because MSVC compilers are pretty far behind in C++11 implementations. And it takes quite a lot of fiddling to be able to use clang or something within Visual Studio.

xerzi wrote:
You can create a project file to specify what commands to run to compile.
I'd rather just maintain a makefile on my own. Too much trouble.
You'd still have the make files, you'd just have sublime run the make command by press F7 or Tools->Build.
Fair enough then
Borland 5.5.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Wait people still use borland....
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
Vim and a makefile
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Visual Assist X is one fantastic plugin. I paid $50 for it and still don't regret it.

Visual Studio doesn't support plugins unless you use the paid version...so...ummm...yeah.
He paid $1200 + $50 for it and still doesn't regret it :P.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
You can get a free copy of VS when you are a student so he didn't have to pay the 1k+ for the full version if he is in school
^^ Dreamspark is great. All you need is a .edu email. I have VS2012 Pro for free.
Depends on what I feel like using as I use a lot of IDEs and editors.

I use Geany, Qt Creator, Code Blocks, Sublime, vim, emacs, nano, programmer's notepad, notepad++, editplus, eclipse, netbeans, and notepad.
Just found out about Android Studio, android development is such a giant mess.

You can get a free copy of VS when you are a student so he didn't have to pay the 1k+ for the full version if he is in school

Yes but you are under liscence that you can't use it to program anything and receive profit for it, not sure if it can be used for open source though.
@Zereo yeah, but the include directories are impossible to configure correctly with the plugin, configuration in general is a nightmare.
Yeaa Yemein, Dev-c++ is what i use too.
xerzi wrote:
He paid $1200 + $50 for it and still doesn't regret it :P.
If you're a student, Microsoft Dreamspark allows you to get copies of a bunch of cool Microsoft products for free, like RB said. :)
I don't have $1200 laying around to spend on software...
$50, on the other hand, I can manage.

xerzi wrote:
Yes but you are under liscence that you can't use it to program anything and receive profit for it
I'm not interrested in profiting from my programs, anyhow. But worst case scenario you just rebuild the project with MinGW or something that doesn't have that kind of license restricting it.
I don't think it works that way, though so long as you keep your development process secret it won't be a problem. For my school you need to be in comp sci or math to get an account, idk if that's a restriction placed by microsoft or my school.
Last edited on
@JayzisLazy
I stopped using Dev for last week, its outdated, see in the INFO button, last update is on 1993
before I was even born xD
Pages: 1234