What IDE do you use?

Pages: 1234
@xerzi
No one has to know my dev process. :)
Also, all I had to do was use my uni .edu email. There were no restrictions for me. It was a relatively simple process. I was quite surprised.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I don't even know why anyone would by the Pro version, I don't even use most of the tools they give you on Express edition.
Code::Blocks for the everyday mucking about. Eclipse for large projects. Visual Studio when I feel up to a cerebral hemorrhage.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I don't even know why anyone would by the Pro version, I don't even use most of the tools they give you on Express edition.

Then you haven't been programming long enough. Plug-in support is enough for some people, for me it's about the unit testing and code coverage features, static code analysis and profiling. The company I work for has Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate for all of it's employees, and I use most of it's features on a daily basis.
I have been programming for quite a while now. I really only use the debugger (Recently started) and I when I type functions when it shows parameters.

Waste of money to buy pro/ultimate.

When you're 13 and just doing some little hobbyist programming, it is much different world than programming in a real world environment on enterprise level software.
12* I turn 13 in November.

Explain to me why you'd want Pro.
It's already been explained.
I switched to sublime as an editor, but then back to code::blocks; just for editor. I'm doing everything else on the command line, and with cmake. Sublime is pretty, but the code completion isn't smart for C++ unless you use the clang plugin, but the clang plugin always would freeze up sublime for me. Maybe the project was too large, I don't know. The code::blocks editor is superior to sublimes editor, in my opinion anyways.

The font, color and syntax highlighting in code blocks is fully customizable. You can make it look almost exactly like sublime if you want. The only thing is that you can't get the dark borders and tabs in code::blocks like you have in sublime. So dark themes in code::blocks don't look as good in contrast to the rest of the window.

You also get an array of auto formatting styles to choose from in code::blocks, and code completion is smart and efficient. And if you have an actual code blocks project, then all your files are well organized for you.
Last edited on
Vim/gdb. +1 on the free tools notion.
@htirwin you realise that people use sublime for more than just the look of it right?
xerzi wrote:
He paid $1200 + $50 for it and still doesn't regret it :P

$1200? I only had to pay $750 (including local tax), unless the price went up since I got it last September. However, I do not regret one bit, and I would of paid $1200 if needed, even $1500.

FredBill30 wrote:

Maybe after you have the experience from working at enterprise level or on any-sort of commercial projects you could comment, however, right now, you seriously lack the experience and the maturity to. That sort of behavior could easily flag you as a troll or complete moron.
Last edited on
Oria I'm a troll/moron because I have an opinion you don't like?
Last edited on by Fredbill30
No, because you do troll the forum and you do give statements about things you know nothing about.
No I don't. You can't just say I'm a moron because I think buying VC++ is a waste.

That's like saying someone is a troll because they post macs are overpriced.

I could under stand if it was a Mac forum and people called me a troll, but at a windows forum, no.

But you still have no experience or knowledge about what you're talking about. Mac vs Windows is different because people have experience using them. You have no experience with enterprise level software (which in itself easily costs tens of thousands of dollars). When people buy software for that price, it comes with support. And it is expected that any bugs be dealt with in a timely manner. Which means the developers don't have the time to sit there and use no tools when they can easily spend the 1,000 dollars for a complete tool set to make their job easier. 1,000 dollars for an enterprise or corporation is nothing.
For each person?

Eh I guess I can't win every argument. You guys win this one.
I don't pay for software at this time because I am still a learner and broke.

It's not that I don't want to show support to others but can't take the chance of blowing money on product that might not suit my needs. I like to try something out before buying. I also spend much time reading reviews on something first. In return I hope to one day offer free products myself. It's only fair.

Edit.

Open source projects want your support too. Go free software!
Last edited on

For each person?

For each person. $1000 for each person is nothing. $1000 is also quite cheap, e.g. many professional grade programs cost much more than that (see: CAD). $1000 is less than 1/10 of monthly cost of a good programmer (~ $100k / year + insuracne + other benefits + taxes).
Last edited on
fredbill30...

You're not 12 years old. Or maybe you are a computer genius for your age.

Don't back down, you are allowed your opinion.
Pages: 1234