Drifting Community

Pages: 123
Admin has pinned welcome threads at the top of each forum that I think clearly says what each forum is for.

admin Beginner wrote:
In this forum, users can to talk about any topic related to C++ for non-expert audiences.
admin Windows wrote:
In this forum, users can to talk about any topic related to programming in C++ for the Windows platform.
admin Nix wrote:
In this forum, users can to talk about any topic related to programming in C++ for UNIX and Linux.
admin General wrote:
In this forum, users can to talk about any topic related to programming in the C++ language that does not fit in any of the other forums.
admin Lounge wrote:
In this forum, users can to talk about topics other than programming.
admin Jobs wrote:
In this forum, recruiters can post job offers for free. Please write an informative title for each post and keep its information updated. Commercial offers not related to employment are not welcome. Messages may be deleted or moved without prior notice and may prompt the suspension of user accounts.

LB wrote:

I feel like the community I joined and enjoyed is going in a direction I don't like,

You seem to be basing all this off what is going on in the Lounge, the non-C++ forum of the C++ site. The Lounge is the one place where the conversation doesn't matter that much toward the site or community. It is, as Disch said, a catch-all for all non-C++ topics.
L B wrote:
I look up to these people as idols, and then I see them do things that I don't understand. Would you be upset if one day you noticed your parents were acting strange?

Yes I'd be upset, its natural. But, I don't understand what is strange about senior members participating in fun threads? Firstly, as it is written in the welcome thread of Lounge, these "fun" threads are totally acceptable since any topic which aren't related to programming is allowed here. Secondly, they are just having fun. Nothing strange or wrong about that. They too are humans after all. Lastly, you are too serious about things. This isn't always a good thing. You need to go and have some fun too.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
BHXSpecter, you any I both know that no one reads the pinned threads. Maybe the admin should make it more noticeable so it catches your eyes.
@Fredbill
Almost no one reads them because if absolutely "no one" read them that would mean every user who has complained about new users not reading the guidelines (pinned thread) would be a hypocrite.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
You knew what I meant.
Last edited on
@BHX: I know, that's why I tried to close this thread originally. I was just responding to you because you seemed to want clarification. Also, I don't get any sense of "community" outside the lounge anyway.

@Stormboy: Things that make me uncomfortable are not fun.
Last edited on
@ LB: Why exactly is it uncomfortable? What is wrong with it? It is neither breaking a guideline nor something illegal.

EDIT: Forgot the colon there lol.
Last edited on
Staring at people is "neither breaking a guideline nor something illegal", though it makes many people uncomfortable.
@ LB: That is something totally different. Can't be related to thread games.
My point is that anything can make someone uncomfortable, the relevance doesn't matter as long as the analogy comes through.

I didn't mean for this thread to go so long and I shouldn't have made it in the first place. I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time and stirring up things for no reason other than my own confusion.
I wouldn't worry about it LB you didn't waste anyone's time or stir anything up. You were just voicing your opinion which which some might not agree with and then again some do agree with. And if anyone gets on your case for just voicing your opinion they aren't worth listening to in my book.

Personally I feel the same as you do, so don't think that you are the only one that notices a change in the community here. But I have come to accept that communities change sometimes for good, sometimes for bad depending on how you view it, but unfortunately there is nothing you can really do to stop that change.
Last edited on
> And if anyone gets on your case for just voicing your opinion they aren't worth listening to in my book.

+1.

There is nothing wrong in having made this thread. One does not need prior authorization from the lounge thought police to assert that some of the goings on in the lounge makes one feel uncomfortable.
The problem with making this thread is that it has left me feeling worse than if I had not made it.
I see where the confusion is. It seems that you, ResidentBiscuit, and I'm willing to bet other members have a view of what the Lounge is for that is different from what the official word is on what the Lounge is for.
LB wrote:
I guess I have a different view of what each forum's purpose is for. This is what I have always felt based on content posted in the past:
- "Lounge" is a forum for programming-related discussion
Admin Lounge wrote:

What you and ResidentBiscuit's view each forum as doesn't matter as each forum has a pinned thread that say very plainly what their purpose is for. You are uncomfortable over it, but that is because you have a view that narrows the topics allowed in the Lounge far more than the actual rules for it.

As for the feeling of community, of course you feel it more in the Lounge than anywhere else. C++ is a technical language and the other threads are focused on it from Beginner, Advanced, Windows, *nix, and Jobs. So the first four would be the equivalent of calling tech support or such, tell them the problem and they give you advice or answers depending on the things you tell them. Jobs is like looking through the classified section of the newspaper. The Lounge allows you to talk with other programmers about interests that you have in common, to link up for projects, maybe join for games, etc.

It's kind of like the newspaper, if you don't like the debate on same sex marriages (sorry that seems to be the hot discussion point next to the disappearance of flight 370) and your paper runs a story on the topic, you would normally just skip over it or overlook it. The same is said for the Lounge, if you don't like the topic or are uncomfortable with the fact that it is there you simply skip over it and don't read it.

On a side note: Losing respect for a member just because they take part in such a topic is ridiculous. That is like losing respect for someone that believes one day a lot of science fiction topics will be reality.
Well said BHX Specter. I really like the way you argue and hold up strong and relevant points. Hopefully I can pick up a few pointers to help me in writing argumentative essays and debate scripts for my English homeworks lol.

EDIT: Fixed typo.
Last edited on
@ LB: You weren't exaggerating about your condition were you? You shouldn't feel worse about making this thread, some people are actually agreeing with you if you haven't noticed.

Like JLBorges pointed out, the quality of posts is trending upward. Also, Stormboy and Disch have gone over the number of threads that fall into the category you are having an issue with and they are pretty low. So this fear you have of this site decaying into some mindless script kiddie playground is probably just everyday run-of-the-mill paranoia.
Last edited on
BHX Specter wrote:
What you and ResidentBiscuit's view each forum as doesn't matter as each forum has a pinned thread that say very plainly what their purpose is for. You are uncomfortable over it, but that is because you have a view that narrows the topics allowed in the Lounge far more than the actual rules for it.

Lately you have consistently been quoting what the lounge sticky post has said over and over like it is somehow the law of the forum. When in reality it is a very short post and the only thing relevant in it to the lounge is

Feel free to participate in a constructive and polite way in any topic of this category. Messages may be deleted or moved without prior notice and may prompt the suspension of user accounts.

You seem to be able to draw a lot from that little of text. It is no where near the end all guideline for how to conduct yourself in the lounge and to say that other members opinion's and view's of the lounge somehow don't matter because of them few words is just complete nonsense.

No offense to twicker who does a amazing job with managing this site but it is not the admin who makes a forum what it is. It is the members of that forum! Those members determine the type of community the forum has not the admin, they determine the general guidelines of what is acceptable in a forum, the admin doesn't really do that (Other then a basic few "rules").

Over the many years I have been apart of quite a few forums and each one had basically the same basic set of rules and guidelines set out. But each one of them forums also had other guidelines and rules that you didn't break unless you wanted to gain a bad reputation. Those rules were not set by a admin or moderator they were set by the community itself.

Just like in life each forum has it's own societal guidelines and how members of that society should behave themselves.

Now I am not saying I agree that thread games are against them rules, I am just saying that to act like the only rules and guidelines of a forum is those set by the admin is utter nonsense in my opinion.

On a side note: Losing respect for a member just because they take part in such a topic is ridiculous. That is like losing respect for someone that believes one day a lot of science fiction topics will be reality.

Once again you are criticizing others for who they are and what they feel. Not every person thinks and feels the same as everyone else including you. Though the I would like to point out how hypocritical this is of you since you yourself "Lost respect" of members because they participated in this thread http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/120008/ .

@Stormboy

Really the last thing you should do is be taking pointers from BHX. He has such a narrow minded opinion and will argue anything to death with false statements and made up facts. I hate to be rude but it seems like you just come onto this forum for little else then to start debates and arguments on every little thing BHX.
I agree with BHXSpecter about the losing respect issue; to say that someones input or knowledge level is somehow lessened because of their participation in an unrelated thread trivializes what ever respect you had for them to begin with.
Speaking of immature thread games that cause people to lose respect for you....

None of you must ever forget that I posted this:

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/57930/3/#msg312781
CodeGazer wrote:
I hate to be rude but it seems like you just come onto this forum for little else then to start debates and arguments on every little thing BHX.

Was that meant for me or for BHXSpecter?

@ Disch: I can't stop laughing now after reading that lol. Those titles xD.
Pages: 123