Drifting Community

Pages: 123
Original title: "Thread Games [redacted]" (JLBorges says it should be "retracted")

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/126474/
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/126469/

Can we please not have thread games? Aren't there entire forums dedicated to those already? I consider them spam, and would report every post in them except that I have gotten on everyone's bad side before for my apparently strange rules on what is and is not spam.

At the very least, can we avoid replying to (participating in) such threads?

EDIT: Change of topic, see this post:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/126496/#msg685139
Last edited on
Why do you care? If you don't like the thread, don't look at it.

The lounge is for funsies. As long as it's not a troll, flamewar, or some bot posting advertisements, I don't see what the problem is.
Well, to be honest, under my other BHXSpecter account, which I believe I forwarded the reply to you, twicker said there is more spam in the other forums than in the Lounge (even with the increase in the Lounge). You are entitled to your opinion, but thread games are perfectly fine in the Lounge because according to the pinned thread say:

admin wrote:
In this forum, users can to talk about topics other than programming.

Feel free to participate in a constructive and polite way in any topic of this category. Messages may be deleted or moved without prior notice and may prompt the suspension of user accounts.

Over the past few years, just like the Standards, I think it is time to discuss directly with twicker to revise the guidelines and forum rules to remove any doubt of what is and isn't allowed here.
Last edited on
@Disch: it bothers me because it changes people's perspective about what is relevant to post about. I don't want to have to wade through meaningless spam to find on-topic content.
Last edited on
It's the lounge. Nothing is relevant, and nothing is on-topic. The whole point of the lounge is to be the catch-all.
While I think it is time for the guidelines and rules to be revised, I think it is pushing it to regulate the Lounge where all the 'spam' and non programming topics are supposed to be at. It isn't your unorthodox views that is rubbing everyone the wrong way, it is probably the fact that you seem to have issue with almost everything that goes on in the Lounge to where you make a topic for it requesting it stops or something on the site is changed to combat it. This means you are trying to act like a backseat admin/moderator and when you don't get your way or don't have people agree with your idea you turn into a child with your reactions. Do I need to link to the topic you posted and then changed the title and did a strike through of the whole first post?

Spam happens, it always will, but making constant threads asking for <xyz> to stop or change is just a different kind of spam.
OK, I will keep in mind that my opinion is not allowed on this forum. Topic resolved.
Well wait a minute, nobody has said your opinion isn't allowed. You stated your opinion and others disagreed. I don't like Disch's original notion that if you don't like something, you simply shouldn't look at it, since I think you should be able to voice yourself when something you believe is wrong. EDIT: In a more moral view, I don't think you should look away when some one is beaten up or steals something in front of you.

In this case, the purpose of the lounge and your supposed issue with the topics within seem to conflict. Do you not like the idea of the lounge? Or do you think the lounge should be more oriented towards programming (in contrast to just C++ like the other forum categories)?
Last edited on
I've stated my opinion on the lounge before, I don't think restating it will benefit me in any way based on the response I got. I made this thread because I forgot I was in the minority. I apologize for my ignorance of others.
Last edited on
While I believe the Lounge is the equivalent to a lounge area in an office building where coworkers exchange scuttlebutt and play the occasional game... I am on L B's side. If you are bored enough to start up games on an internet forum, it's probably time to step away from the computer and do something else. That being said, I also agree with Disch's point: if you don't like something on the Internet, just do your best to avoid it.
Why does everything said have to be beneficial? At the very least, it appears to be appeasing your boredom. I think you should try harder in convincing people into why such threads shouldn't be allowed in the lounge.
I don't know what you expect from me when I have no rebuttal or counter argument. Daleth basically summed up this whole thread in one post.
@LB
I said you were entitled to your opinion. I simply stated what my speculated opinion was as to why some members may find your unorthodox views of spam abrasive based on the partial truths I've seen from you (like the reactions in the aforementioned thread and this one). I have never said your views were unorthodox nor have I ever said I thought you were abrasive for having them. Everyone has opinions and are again entitled to voice them and fight for them. You wanted to make an impact in lowering the spam by locking post counts in the Lounge and now you are wanting to curve it by limiting what is allowed in the catch-all thread (as Disch put it). Both are completely fine opinions to have, voice, and fight for. Emphasis on fight since you seem to drop the fight as soon as an abrasive opinion is posted. I didn't mean to come across so harsh in my comment and I apologize for that, but it was in no way meant to make you back out of stating your opinion and fighting for it.

You keep talking about spam in the Lounge and ways to lower it or make it disappear, but twicker and me (under BHXSpecter) discussed this a few times during your first thread about post count. By the time we had finished Twicker told me that the spam in the Lounge is actually lower than the spam in the other forums. I even sent you a copy of what he replied with after you marked that thread as solved. Again, I'm not saying to back away, but if the other threads are getting more spam than the Lounge, I think you need to widen your focus as to ways to make a dent in the spam in the whole site and not just the Lounge.
I guess I have a different view of what each forum's purpose is for. This is what I have always felt based on content posted in the past:
- "Beginners" is a QA forum for beginner C++ questions
- "Windows Programming" is a QA forum for Windows-specific C++ questions
- "UNIX/Linux Programming" is a QA forum for *nix-specific C++ questions
- "General C++ Programming" is a QA forum for non-beginner C++ questions
- "Lounge" is a forum for programming-related discussion
- "Jobs" is a forum for posting/finding/accepting job requests for C++

At least, that's how the forums have always been used up until these past months. I do admit that I blur the line between programming and philosophy, as seen by some of my own topics in the lounge, but I have never seen the lounge as a "post whatever you want" place.

I only felt bothered by the thread games because people I respect like Disch and others have been participating, which causes a great deal of internal stress for me. I have a certain trust for the personality and behavior of many senior members, and recently only these past months I have seen very strange breaks in my trust that have been causing me stress.

I feel like the community I joined and enjoyed is going in a direction I don't like, and I feel like I'm slipping away. It's such an abstract disconcerting feeling that I don't really know how to react. I don't know what to do besides these "complaint" threads, I feel isolated otherwise. This community used to be my escape from isolation, and now it has turned into isolation for me.

I know I have said a lot about myself now, but I really don't know what to do or think now. I'm lost. You've all confused me. I know I am not the only one to feel it, as we have seen already some valued members have closed their accounts. I won't do that, but I feel the pressure anyway.
Last edited on
I kind of agree with LB here. I always thought the lounge was "Programming/technology-related questions that don't fit in the other forums.

I feel like the community I joined and enjoyed is going in a direction I don't like

Agreed. Not really much else I can say.
> I feel like the community I joined and enjoyed is going in a direction I don't like

I perceive a distinct, and substantial, improvement in quality from the time I joined. As far as the regulars in the programming forums are concerned, which is all that really matters (to me).
The site description for the lounge is:

This site wrote:
"Discussions about this website, or other topics not related to C++ programming"

I think we'd both agree that thread games are not related to C++ programming. ;P

I'm not big on thread games myself. I might occasionally pop in with an answer or two, but I never really follow them closely. It's just a fun little thing to throw a post at.

I have a certain trust for the personality and behavior of many senior members, and recently only these past months I have seen very strange breaks in my trust that have been causing me stress.

I am really having a hard time understanding what it is you're so upset about.

I can't imagine what kind of 'trust' involves people refusing to participate in "fun" threads. Nor do I understand why you care so much about what other people do with their free time.

I feel like the community I joined and enjoyed is going in a direction I don't like,

I don't think anything has changed. Maybe there are a more 'silly' lounge threads than there used to be... but so what? Don't read them. There are (and have always been) tons of threads in the Lounge that I couldn't have cared less about. It's kind of the nature of these kinds of boards.

Maybe if the forum had an "ignore thread" option that might solve the issue?

and I feel like I'm slipping away.

I hate to say this, and I mean no offense by it.... but it sounds to me like this is more of a problem with your outlook and less of a problem with the forum. Try focusing more on the things you're interested in and less on watching (and judging) what other people are doing.

You've all confused me. I know I am not the only one to feel it, as we have seen already some valued members have closed their accounts.

I've also seen many (most?) of them reopen accounts with another username.

Though that's even more things that I don't understand. =P

I won't do that, but I feel the pressure anyway.

I frequently takes breaks from the Lounge. Like sometimes I'll go weeks/months without even looking at the thread list. Maybe you should do the same?

The whole point here is to enjoy yourself. If you're not enjoying yourself then maybe it's best to leave for a bit. I'm not saying you should quit forever... but maybe a break for a while might help clear your head.

EDIT: bad typo. "mean to offense" instead of "mean no offense". Big difference.
Last edited on
LB, I really respect you for your knowledge and personality. But, what you are doing now (threads like these) is making me have doubts in your personality. If you'd see the current threads in the first page of the Lounge, most of them are related to Programming/Technology except a 2 or 3. That's perfectly normal in my opinion. Ever since I've joined, I've seen the Lounge this way and you cannot expect a general forum to be always 100% on topic. There will always be a few nonsense threads. That said, senior members participating in the nonsense threads...what's wrong in that? A person can have fun within limits and here participating in these thread games isn't out of the Lounge rules.
Stormboy wrote:
If you'd see the current threads in the first page of the Lounge, most of them are related to Programming/Technology except a 2 or 3

This is interesting... I never actually bothered to look at the ratio.

Not counting this thread... I count:

Site/Tech/programming related:
Smalltalk Distro's
How do developers put the download link on the internet?
Google having strange IP
Looking for Pascal users..
Announcing Meeting C++ 2014
Group Project
Quit getch() Input if X seconds reached?
cplusplus.com Wishlist Thread, March 2014
Community Project #2 Arena
SFML - Space Dev - Join us!
Developing as a Professional
My IDE
Customizable IDEs

"Funsie" / "stupid" threads:
My Life according to...
Guess the country!
I have 33 posts...

Halfway... tech/programming related... but still "funsie" in nature:
Code Insults
Ever look at old code and think? What the hell was I smoking?

So Stormboy makes a valid point. This isn't nearly as big of a deal as you seem to think it is, LB.
Disch wrote:
I am really having a hard time understanding what it is you're so upset about.

I can't imagine what kind of 'trust' involves people refusing to participate in "fun" threads. Nor do I understand why you care so much about what other people do with their free time.
"Tust" was a bad word choice on my part. "Expectations" is better.
Disch wrote:
Try focusing more on the things you're interested in and less on watching (and judging) what other people are doing.
Try standing in a noisy cafetaria and focusing on something. I don't have that ability, but whether I should be asking for accomodations is controversial.
Disch wrote:
Like sometimes I'll go weeks/months without even looking at the thread list. Maybe you should do the same?
I would still like to participate in good intersting conversations on the subjects of programming and philosophy, but I suppose I can't do that here.
Stormboy wrote:
But, what you are doing now (threads like these) is making me have doubts in your personality.
I'm doubting myself too, I'm really feeling lost right now.
Stormby wrote:
That said, senior members participating in the nonsense threads...what's wrong in that? A person can have fun within limits and here participating in these thread games isn't out of the Lounge rules.
I look up to these people as idols, and then I see them do things that I don't understand. Would you be upset if one day you noticed your parents were acting strange?
Disch wrote:
This isn't nearly as big of a deal as you seem to think it is, LB.
That's why I had tried to close the thread. I was mainly only responding to BHX and then ResidentBiscuit joined in, so I repurposed the thread to avoid confusion.
Pages: 123