Adoption by Homosexual Couples

Pages: 1... 1920212223... 36
closed account (iAk3T05o)
If you reject my points and even go to the point of declaring a person non-existent, there's not much more i can say and even if you are presented with proof, that person becomes non-existent.

Your fate is in your hands.
An article somewhere on the Internet is proof of neither the existence of any particular person, nor of God.
But, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's suppose that atheist does exist. What does that imply? Are you presenting it as proof of God's existence? Is his opinion somehow worth more because he was an atheist? I used to be a Christian and I'm not anymore. How does my opinion compare to his?
That he is a she.
I don't see how that answers any of my questions.
Nathan2222 wrote:
I feel the thought of the possibility of the existence of God scares you.

I feel like I can't be the only one who immediately thought of this quote when I read that:
Hansen: So how about it, Nash? You scared?

Nash: Terrified... mortified... petrified... stupefied... by you.
(from the movie A Beautiful Mind)
A final link. It's not a change you ways post. I've tried and Jesus Christ said you should spread the world so that they may be saved. He answers the atheists comments (more than a year's worth of comments) there in a really civilised manner.
[url="http://creation.mobi/atheist-god-hate" ] Do read it [/url].
Good night.
Last edited on
Boring, old, tired rhetoric.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Nathan2222 wrote:
Dragons do exist. Check revelations in the bible. In fact, it's in other places in the bible too.
I feel the thought of the possibility of the existence of God scares you.
Are you friggen serious?
I'll bite, Nathan. I've read the link. It's just more ramblings about Atheism from someone who doesn't understand Atheism.

Here are a list of things I disagree with and/or are flat out wrong:

1) "Recently, I have had a lot of conversations with atheists. Many express a strong hatred of God. I have been at a loss to explain this. How can you hate someone you don’t believe in?" More likely... they express a strong hatred of people insisting he exists. Atheists cannot hate God because they don't think he's real, as his rhetorical question points out.

2) Why the hostility? It's difficult for Christians to fathom just how Christianity imposes itself onto day-to-day life for everyone who is not a Christian. Imagine being a Christian in a Muslim country, where everyone constantly tells you your views were wrong and laws are put in place solely because the lawmakers hold religious views you don't agree with. That is what it's like to be an Atheist in America. They're a frustrated minority.

3) Nothing matters if atheism is true EVERYTHING matters is Atheism is true. When life is all there is... then life is all that matters. If Christianity is true, and the world is just a sort of test or trial before you can sit for eternity in the afterlife... then life is relatively meaningless, and the faster you can get through it to get to your eternal reward, the better.

4) Like Huxley, some people don’t like God because they don’t like moral constraints—you can make up your own rules, or have none at all, if God does not exist. While this is technically true because he used the weasel words "some people"... he's suggesting the idea that Atheists are Atheists because they are immoral and don't want to be bound to conventional morality. Nothing could be further from the truth. Atheists are perfectly capable of having morals -- they have a conscious and are capable of empathy like anyone else.

What is actually frightening to most Atheists is the thought that the only thing preventing Christians from committing crime is fear of being punished for it.

5) Many complain about hell; they are angry at God because of hell. This statement makes no sense. Atheists don't believe hell exists.

6) Such a troubled teenager hearing an atheist say that evolution explains how we got here and that God is a myth2 could find this to be a liberating message, a release from their fears. Funny how he points this out about Atheism when the same thing could just as easily be said about Christianity. IE: believing in it because you're afraid of death and the idea of an afterlife is a release from your fear. While I don't personally identify with this, I won't say it's wrong. But I will say it's a meaningless statement because it's a double-edged sword.

7) It is strange that people hate God, who loves so much. The stuff I've read about God in both the old and new testaments make him sound cruel and heartless. Jesus loves... I like Jesus... he's cool. But God seems to just be vengeful and mean.

8) But if those who spurn God’s forgiveness will suffer God’s wrath, shouldn’t we Christians be warning everyone about the danger and how they can be saved? No. You can practice your religion any way you want, but you should not try to nose in and tell other people what to believe. It is not "kind" to do so... it is annoying and rude. Atheists like to hear sermons just about as much as Christians like to hear speeches about how god doesn't really exist.

9) It would be extremely unloving not to tell others of this. Nope. It would be gracious and respectful. This is kind of what I was talking about earlier about Christianity often being an imposition. This last paragraph in the article is basically saying everyone should be constantly trying to convert everyone who isn't already Christian. Hopefully you can see why that's a problem.

10) A gift of Creation magazine might be a good place to start. Nice sales pitch at the end. Don't forget the T-shirt.
Last edited on
I'm not correcting you, Disch; I'm just pointing this out:
Atheists cannot hate God because they don't think he's real, as his rhetorical question points out.
Atheists can hate the fictional character variously referred to as "God", "the Lord", "the Father", etc. in the Bible. There's probably at least one person who hates Harry Potter, too.

God loves you so much, He'll personally see to it that you burn for all eternity if you even dare to pick up a stick a Saturday. Or Sunday. No one's exactly sure.
God also loves his only son Jesus so much that he forced him to die a horribly painful and agonizing death so that our sins could be forgiven. Couldn't he just have forgiven us without forcing that fate upon his son? Doesn't sound like very much love to me.

God also commanded Abraham to kill his son for some reason I'm still unsure of. Even if it was just a test, that's still a pretty screwed-up mind game to play on someone just to test their loyalties. Doesn't sound like very much love there either.

I could go on, but I'll stop. God as he's depicted in the Bible is kind of an asshole.
closed account (10X9216C)
Jesus loves... I like Jesus... he's cool. But God seems to just be vengeful and mean.

Wonder how many people think jesus is white :P.
Jesus wasn't forced to do anything. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit. Jesus had the same power as God. He could have killed the people who crucified him. Why do you think he said "Father, forgive them". Do you think if He was forced he would utter forgive? Why did the devil try so hard to tempt him? Jesus wasn't forced.
Again, waste of finger strength. Can't find the study, but there was one on how believing in something causes a dopamine release in our brains, acting as a sort of feedback that tells us that believing in it is good. Break that belief, and it activates the same parts of the brain as disgust. Belief, whether in God or Science or the Flying Spaghetti Monster is essentially a Pavlovian condition, which has been shown time and time again to be incredibly difficult to break based on the time of which the subject has been induced.

In other words, we're all slaves to our beliefs. It was a choice at first, sure. But not anymore. Not just Nathan here, but all of us. So can we stop arguing? It won't change anyone's mind on the topic, so what's the point?
Ok. One last thing. As atheists don't believe in the existence of neither God, satan, hell or heaven, what is the vindication of the people that were brutally killed during war, by drunk people on the road, by theives etc. What do they get. What is their atheistic punishment or is what they did morally acceptable and good?
Nathan you forget; no-one goes to hell anyway. Repent and all is forgiven, however atrocious.
no-one goes to hell anyway. Repent and all is forgiven, however atrocious.

Well, what happens if you don't repent?
Well, what happens if you don't repent?

If you're a Christian and you commit acts of evil and fail to repent, you are sent to hell for idiocy.
Ispil seems to be the only reasonable one here.
what is the vindication of the people that were brutally killed during war, by drunk people on the road, by theives etc. What do they get.
None? Is that such an inconceivable notion to you that you had to ask such an obvious question?

What is their atheistic punishment or is what they did morally acceptable and good?
Are you saying being the victim of vehicular homicide is immoral?

If you need to "accept Jesus into your heart" to not go to Hell, where do stillborn babies go? What about people who can't comprehend your message?
Conversely, if rather more theoretical, what would it mean if a non-human species became capable of understanding human language and actually accepted him?
Pages: 1... 1920212223... 36