• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Do you think smoking herbs (weed) is a g

Do you think smoking herbs (weed) is a good idea after studying?

Pages: 123
I know this question might not be appropriate but.. I would like to know. I study the c++ language for about 3-4 hours a day and I sometimes tend to smoke right after i finish studying. So do you think smoking might cause me to forget the content that I was studying? Have you ever smoked weed while or after studying?
I do believe it does make you forget some slight details (you may feel some deja-vu's).
Note: I don't smoke.
Last edited on
I think there have been some strong correlations between marijuana and temporary reduction in memory retention, though I believe that had do with memories gained while high, and not so much memories gained just before getting high.

Also, LBT, advert or not, whatever happened to "what happens on #cplusplus stays on #cplusplus?"

-Albatross
that went out the door when we started pastebinning

edit:
also early happy 4 20 post demon queen
Last edited on
Have you ever smoked weed while or after studying?
Smoking weed while studying means you just stopped studying and won't be able to for a few hours.

I stopped programming to smoke a few times (after several hours spent in front of the screen), but never when I was learning about something new. That being said, I never had a problem resuming my work the following day.

Anyway, I don't think it is much of a problem as long as you smoke in moderation. What's important is that you understand the logic, so that even if you forget some details, picking them up again is a breeze.
Last edited on
Maybe you would get the fear so bad you are too afraid to leave the comfort of your desk and will just code, thats what would happen if I smoked strong weed
I think everyone agrees it doesn't help you, so on that basis alone I would say it isn't a good idea.

Smoking weed effects your short term memory, and I believe this is the memory of the past 15 seconds. By the time you finish rolling the joint you will have forgotten everything you might forget already.

I would say that if your grades are fine, you don't have money problems, and you don't think about smoking while studying, you will be alright.

Short term memory is pretty interesting. When I walk into my house, I typically take a right turn. The other day, I was doing something that required a left. Having walked through my yard so many times, my mind was free to go wherever it wanted. Unfortunately, this meant my muscle memory was in control, and I took that right turn. There was a feeling "this isn't correct", and it made me stop. At first, I didn't know why it wasn't correct or what I was actually doing. This is an example of a short term memory fail and I had to search long term memory to figure out what I was doing.
For about 3 years I smoked between 1/5th a gram and 2 grams a day of strains between 22% and 27% THC content. Very few of them non hybrid, most indica dominant. Nothing else in my life has been a larger hindrance on productivity and self education.

That said, I just read a research paper that showed that chronic use shrinks the brain while simultaneously increasing the density of neuron connections.
Can I ask a serious question? Why did you start smoking in the first place? I mean why that particular drug? I know that 90% of smokers don't make the effort to refine hash oil so regardless of what the THC content might be your wasting a noticeable portion of it. You know that smoking anything diminishes your lung capacity even with the comparatively low tar content that pot has. Then there is the smell, while not unpleasant, it is very distinct and noticeable to people who might not be happy about your decision to smoke.

I'm not lecturing you about how doing drugs is bad and will ruin your life (although opiates will). I'm just curious about why, given the alternatives, so many people choose this particular one. For anyone who is curious my recreational choice, before adulthood kicked me in the rear end, was psilocybin.
Computergeek01 wrote:
For anyone who is curious my recreational choice, before adulthood kicked me in the rear end, was psilocybin.

I'm a fan of psychedelics too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/single-magic-mushroom-can-change-personality-2363324.html

Dissociatives can be beneficial as well, they allow a person to be more honest and introspective which can lead to positive personality changes.
Last edited on
Weed is easy to use, you can take a hit or two and have a relaxed evening. As I see it, it is basically an alternative to alcohol. I wouldn't think that taking psychedelics every night is maintainable.

I don't smoke, but I know that finding decent weed is as simple as walking to town square. I would have to reach out a little to get anything else.
My birthday is 4/20, that particular drug is relatively harmless and easily available. CBD is a mood stablizer and I have bi-polar.
I smoke ( or have smoked ) a shit tonne of weed in the past, some of my friends too have smoked it in copious amounts.

Take it from me, it depends on yourself.

I have a friend who has been smoking for near 10 years now, he's a jobless conspirator living with his nan and he babbles the most useless shit you will ever hear in your life.

I have another friend who has been smoking it little over 5 years now, he is very forgetful, but he has taken big amounts of other shit as well, mainly powders, coke, MDMA, MKAT etc etc. He has strong motives for video games, very little ambition.

I smoked my first joint when I was around 14 and I've smoked it regularly since, I am 21 now. I love to learn and code while high. The world dissipates, my attention is sharp my focus heightened. I see things in new perspectives and are able to fix problems I were unable to accomplish before.

I have a polish friend, he had a line of speed before his maths exam. Finished it in under half an hour with 98% marks.

When it comes to drugs, it comes down to you.
Just seeing this reminds me...Out of ten friends who smoked weed all their lives two are institutionalized for being schizophrenic and scared of the world, but I respect that they may have gone mad anyway and, I also believe the hippy upbringing creates a lot of angst and us and them state of mind, I believe this leads on to feeling uncomfortable all the time, kinda like borderline problems, jsut a thought.

Now MDMA theres an interesting drug, is it available in america? we dont have crystal meth maybe its not popular, tbh tho, drug conversations are kind of lame.

devonrevenge wrote:
Out of ten friends who smoked weed all their lives two are institutionalized for being schizophrenic and scared of the world

IIRC there is a link between schizophrenia and weed, but it's not been established as causal. As in any case where A and B correlate, there are at least four explanations:
1. A causes B: smoking weed increases the risk of developing schizophrenia in those predisposed to it.
2. A and B are both caused by C: the same genes that predispose people to schizophrenia also predispose people to drug use. There's evidence that "addictive personality" is related to the personality dimensions of high "openness" (the tendency to seek and accept novel situations/stimuli) and low self-control. Both are related to drug use, and both could be related to schizophrenia.
3. B causes A: schizophrenic people use drugs to deal with the negative symptoms (depression, emotional withdrawal, social stigma, social isolation). Schizophrenia starts with emotional detachment, social withdrawal and cognitive deficits; psychotic symptoms start later. It's possible that schizophrenics start using drugs to deal with the earlier symptoms.
4. A and B are unrelated and the correlation is a coincidence: schizophrenia symptoms typically appear in the late teens and early 20s, around the same time people usually start experimenting with drugs.

It doesn't have to be any single one of these explanations. All four could be at work, even in one person, which is the view I tend towards. Some drugs probably do increase the risk, especially amphetamines and cocaine which can induce a schizophrenia-like state by themselves, but most drug use is probably because schizophrenic people are often depressed and alone - partly due to social stigma and partly due to the disease itself inducing social withdrawal and flattening of emotions.

I also believe the hippy upbringing creates a lot of angst and us and them state of mind

Maybe, if they're bad hippies. Typically hippies have a very inclusive mindset.

MDMA theres an interesting drug, is it available in america?

It's available pretty much everywhere but I think in America it's usually sold in pill form as ecstasy rather than as crystals. Ecstasy is usually MDMA with amphetamine (speed).

I would avoid MDMA if I were you. The effects are pleasant but there's evidence of neurotoxicity with long-term use.
An advise from one of the older forum members: avoid drugs and alcohol, in any quantities.

With and without moderation, alcohol and marihuana will damage your nervous system and harm your ability to think.

I've been drinking more than a few drinks as a student, and continue to do so, although lately I am able to resist. I've also smoked more than a few joints as a university student.

It has been all to a great harm to my intelligence. The scariest effect however is not the temporary effect of being drunk/high, but that you get used to it. Once you start using regularly (which I never did with weed, but have done with alcohol for extended periods) - you are on the way to do serious damage to yourself.

For me, the worst part was that I was able to do intense intellectual work every day and drink every night after that for months at a time. Since my brain was able to handle difficult tasks, I thought, the alcohol did no damage to me. Not so at all. While the positive effect of doing intense work in math and programming kept me always sharp in those subjects - at least in the concrete topics I was working on at the time - everything else was suffering greatly. The damage extended to memory of mathematics that I have studied long ago but haven't exercised recently. Sometimes I find some surprising lack of memory for a old friend's name or names of places I have visited. I strongly believe this is partially due to overuse of alcohol ...
Last edited on
Are you sure it's not just the normal effects of ageing?
You never know. However, would you like to be the rat testing the long term effects of drugs? Also, the OP describes quite a few cases of the bad effects of doing drugs for too long ...
tition wrote:
would you like to be the rat testing the long term effects of drugs?

I already am, kinda. But a single rat would not be much use, anyone could have a neurodegenerative disease like dementia or schizophrenia or some genetic susceptibility to deleterious effects of drugs.

Also, the OP describes quite a few cases of the bad effects of doing drugs for too long

It's not so much the duration that matters as the frequency and dose, as well as the drug itself - there's never been a harmful long-term effect associated with LSD at any dose, nor a confirmed case of overdose, nor any sign of potential for addiction. Drugs like benzodiazepines and barbiturates have well-documented potential for abuse, harm and addiction. Yet LSD is totally illegal despite well-established psychotherapeutic benefits and the other two are available by prescription. Go figure.
Last edited on
Pages: 123