Ban Report Abuse

Pages: 123
I have pre-made posts that I copy-paste in situations like that :)
Duoas wrote:
I can name ten people here right off of the top of my head who I would trust with this power.

Yeah, you're letting this crap get to you; please knock it off. I can tell you as an impartial third party observer that this little trolling campaign is having somewhere between jack and sh*^ impact on your reputation here. It's not like you're being targeted by Spoony or anything, so just ignore it.
Woah, no need for a heated debate!
Vindictive reporting will disappear if the incentive is removed: just do not highlight reported posts.
Exactly. I can't name any other site that makes reports public, and that's for a reason. I recall, a year or so ago, reporting some massive, scrawling post for some reason or another. He immediately began to accuse someone else in the thread for reporting his post.
@Computergeek01
Point taken.
Though, I wasn't worried about any reputation I may have with anyone -- only newbies posting who don't know anything except that an answer is tagged as 'reported' and may therefore not even consider said answer. (I like to hope that most of my answers are more or less correct and helpful.)

@JLBorges
+ 1
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Vindictive reporting will disappear if the incentive is removed: just do not highlight reported posts.

Excellent idea!

Remove the visual gratification some people derive from seeing others being reported and they will stop the antics.
Wow, I've been away a while and return to see all the "gurus" posts conveniently highlighted in yellow so I can find them easier :D

I've just read through all of this and the other post linked on page one and to be honest I love the fact that the report system has no automated crap that can potentially delete perfectly fine posts or ignore massive flame and offensiveness. Also I believe that when you understand that the report system is monitored then most people will see that targeted reports will have no effect.

A few things that I would like to see would be an unreport button for the person who originally reported, this allows a poster to be given a fair chance to amend their post (and very rarely I've pressed the button by mistake and theirs no confirmation).
And also I'd like to see a little text box appear when when reporting so you can explain to the poster (anonymously) what is wrong with their pos so they may amend it.
SatsumaBenji wrote:
(and very rarely I've pressed the button by mistake and theirs no confirmation).
And also I'd like to see a little text box appear when when reporting so you can explain to the poster (anonymously) what is wrong with their pos so they may amend it.
Your browser must be broken - there is no way to report a post without filling in a reason.

IMO the only thing that needs to change is that there should be no visual indication to others that a post has been reported.
closed account (18hRX9L8)
I agree about how the upvoting posts systems may affect the way this community works in a negative way, but what about marking replies as answers and upvoting specific replies (no point system, just so users can quickly list by upvotes/correct answer and fine the most meaningful replies)?

Last edited on
@usanfriends: no to both
I agree that the post probably shouldn't be highlighted when reported.
LB wrote:
Your browser must be broken - there is no way to report a post without filling in a reason.

You sure? I don't recall ever seeing a confirmation for report? Although saying that I've hardly ever had any reason to use it so it's not like I see it often so I may have just forgotten :)
SatsumaBenji wrote:
You sure?
https://i.imgur.com/zDGwUgZ.png
If you don't see that when you click the button, you should get a better browser.
https://i.imgur.com/zDGwUgZ.png
If you don't see that when you click the button, you should get a better browser.

I was going check that also but didn't want to accidently report someone just in case.... Maybe it's just my phone browser or something?

Oh well, ignore what I said about that :D
However I think it would still be nice to have the reason sent to the poster who has been reported so if they wish they may amend their post, and have an "unreport" button showing only for the person who reported if they're happy with any amendments if they're made.

This is really for the cases where their can be big misunderstandings and such... If I were to go all rage and someone reported my post for cursing, or if I was answering something giving false information or whatever else, I could see why I reported and when I've calmed down a bit, or when I've found the correct information I can fix my wrong doings :)
SatsumaBenji wrote:
However I think it would still be nice to have the reason sent to the poster who has been reported so if they wish they may amend their post, and have an "unreport" button showing only for the person who reported if they're happy with any amendments if they're made.
The report button is not designed for these cases - the private messaging system is. Better yet, openly reply to the post explaining why you think something is wrong with it.

The report button is for obvious cases of forum rule violation such as spam or extremely disrespectful behavior.
Last edited on
Fair enough...
Although a lot of people do turn disable PM as you said you can always just have the guts to reply in the post, I'd like to believe that most people in this community would see it as "creative criticism" :)

Back to you guys, giving the better ideas XD
IMO the only thing that needs to change is that there should be no visual indication to others that a post has been reported.

But that's convenient, both for the users and the admins. Once a post has been reported, there's no need for other users to take the (admittedly small) effort to report it.

More importantly, admin doesn't need to be bombarded with reports about the same message; once is enough.

I have to say, as a user, it would be nice to receive a notification of (a) when I've been reported, and (b) the reason given for reporting me. I don't mind seeing other people's problem's with what I've posted; I'm happy when something legitimate is brought to my attention, so I can avoid doing that in future. And it would be amusing to see what reasons report-spammer has been putting in their reports :D

As it is, I don't even know when I've been reported, unless I revisit a thread.

Although a lot of people do turn disable PM

Isn't the default setting to disable PM's, so that you have to actively enable them? Or am I getting confused with other Forum software?
Last edited on
I don't know. Nearly all other forum/community software works the same way: only site staff know when something gets reported. This is the only forum I have ever used where it works differently, and it's also the only forum where mass reportings are clearly visible and people get upset about having their post reported. Maybe correlation doesn't equal causation in this case, but I get the feeling it does.

And yes, PMs are disabled by default.
I don't know. Nearly all other forum/community software works the same way: only site staff know when something gets reported.

True, but it's also common for mods on some forums like that to go and insert comments in the offending message to say that it's already been reported, and to ask people to stop sending more reports about the same message. I assume the report-once-only functionality here was to fix that.

This is the only forum I have ever used where it works differently, and it's also the only forum where mass reportings are clearly visible and people get upset about having their post reported.

I must admit, I don't get upset about having my posts reported, especially when it's obvious that it's being done for meaningless reasons. Let report-spammer report all me posts if he/she likes; it makes no difference to me.

The only time it bothers me is when I have no idea why I've been reported. I assume if I ever actually did anything wrong enough for the admins to care, I'd get a message from them asking me to stop doing whatever it was I got reported for, but that's just an assumption.

Generally, I prefer more open, transparent moderation, where everyone knows what's going on and why.
Last edited on
Pages: 123