Pls add spoilers to this forum.

spoilers would break down large amounts of text with a click.. and that would be SO HELPFUL especially if you have to deal with code and have to show examples of that have code in them..

This is how I suggest something right..? *shrugs*
I do use spoilers in my posts on occasions.
For example: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/123113/#msg670640
That's fine but JLBorges you're spoiling using links. It would be very convenient to have a button that displayed "spoiler" and clicking this button would extend whatever was inside the spoiler which would be text and code.

If we don't have spoilers, one would have to scroll through all code and text in a post while he could simply not bother to open the spoilers containing codes and explanation and cycle through the thread normally.

Quite a lot of forums have this feature. And to be honest it's just about convenience adding this wouldn't affect anything else in any way..

Spoilers is an optional customization.. one need not use it but may if they are keen on it, just like bold italics and underline. It's for people who like to prettify their posts ^_^
Last edited on
This is how I suggest something right..?

To whom do you think you are suggesting something? None of us have the ability to implement these things. As I've said in your other thread, if you want these things to be implemented, you're going to have to talk to admin, and persuade them to do it. Not us.
I don't understand what's so bad with scrolling? Personally I would find it less user friendly if I had to press a spoiler button to read things. This is after all a programming forum so the code is usually something that we want to read, not hide.
Last edited on
I don't understand what's so bad with scrolling?

To be fair, many IDE's have a "fold code" feature, which can be very useful for collapsing code blocks into a single line when trying to work with large files. That's more or less the same thing.
Last edited on
When half or more of new users don't bother with code tags, I hardly think new tags is what we need.
Lounge
Discussions about this website, or other topics not related to C++ programming
I think this is the right place, or at least, it should be

I doubt that new features would be implemented when the `New Topic' interface has been broken for years.
It may be the right place to discuss what new features we would like.

However, do not be confused into thinking that having such a discussion here, will result in admin even seeing it, let alone be persuaded that they should implement it.

If you want to talk to the admin about a new feature, you need to actually talk to the admin.
I do recall a Forum, whose spoilers were practically unreadable with smartphone's browser. A feature that makes a Forum unusable is not helpful.

MikeyBoy wrote:
To be fair, many IDE's have a "fold code" feature, which can be very useful for collapsing code blocks into a single line when trying to work with large files. That's more or less the same thing.

Do you imply that code tags that implement "fold code" in addition to current beautification would be more useful than separate spoiler tags?

Then again, the folding must require some parsing and since many posted codes are unparsable (the very reason they are posted), the outcome might not be so great.

I don't expect judicious use of any tags from the "do my work ASAP" crowd.
Do you imply that code tags that implement "fold code" in addition to current beautification would be more useful than separate spoiler tags?

I wasn't really implying anything so detailed. Just drawing an analogy between the way code folding can help make large bits of code more readable by collapsing bits you're not interested in, and "spoiler tags" possibly making large bits of text more readable by collapsing bits you're not interested in.

To be hones, I've never actually seen spoiler tags used for that purpose. I've seen them used to hide things that can mess up the display format of a forum - e.g. large pictures - and to hide, y'know, actual spoilers, but that's about it.

To be honest, the biggest thing people could do to improve the readability of long posts is to learn to use paragraphs, ffs. But if a simple facet of written language that's been arpound for centuries is still beyond most people, then I can't see that adding spoiler tags is going to make much difference.

As for adding folding to the code display here, I can see that might be helpful.
@MikeyBoy this thread need not be noticed by an administrator but I get to see your opinions.. And maybe that would help an administrator decide on what's suitable for the users, right?

I explicitly asked if this were the right place, because I did not know if there is a special place for suggestions, which as I learnt, there isn't.

Spoilers aren't supposed to be compulsory. It's for people who want to organize their posts.

And I know forums that detect when a user is not using coding tags when he must. This forum needs the feature for sure.

You know when I would want to use spoilers?
1) When helping a newbie with the logic and writing the solution inside spoilers.
2) When I want to post the entire code (spoil the entire code), but want to highlight only some parts.
3) When I have a doubt only about a small part but also want to include the entire code just in case, I would spoil the entire code.

Last edited on
@MikeyBoy this thread need not be noticed by an administrator but I get to see your opinions.. And maybe that would help an administrator decide on what's suitable for the users, right?

Only if admin was actively reading this forum, and was interested in giving up more of their spare time and putting in the effort to implement this stuff just because a few posters here like the idea(*).

I think you should be realising by now, that you cannot assume those things.

I explicitly asked if this were the right place, because I did not know if there is a special place for suggestions, which as I learnt, there isn't.

Um... you've been explicitly told that if you want to suggest changes, the place to do it is via the "contact us" form.
Last edited on
Okay MikeyBoy, thanks.
You're welcome.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.