Codechef - don't waste your time?

So, yet another CC problem has been trashed by the OP, and what replies remain are disjoint and meaningless without context.

Is it even worth bothering with these threads?

If it's not a flat out copy/paste of the assignment without any effort, it's some half-baked brute-force attempt which inevitably results in Time Limit Exceeded.

Even where the OP seems genuine, drive-by 1-post malcontents start flagging things like crazy.

So, replying in any substantive form seems like a waste. If it doesn't go over the OP's head, someone else will flag it to stop the OP getting their free lunch. Either way, the long-term benefit to the wider community is zilch.
the same may be said about the usual homework questions, but I think that the problem in this case case is that the op is being reported, and as they are a new user, the account is banned and their posts deleted.

> it's some half-baked brute-force attempt which inevitably results in Time Limit Exceeded.
somewhere they need to learn about algorithm complexity

> drive-by 1-post malcontents start flagging things like crazy.
sorry, don't understand what you mean.

> Either way, the long-term benefit to the wider community is zilch.
as almost any of the other questions here
About the question in question, I was originally going to string the OP along, but instead said something sensible. But like you say, the braindead keep coming, "can you explain it some more?" What are these people even doing? Why are they bothering with these "competitions" if they can't even think straight?

(And I hear Chef's a bit iffy.)

But overall, who cares?
People should "answer" if they feel like it.
I generally don't.
I have no idea why occasionally I do.
Boredom?

But really, who cares?
The meaningless thread will sink and disappear.
The stupid will remain stupid.
The world will keep turning.
And eventually we will all die.
Well phrased, @dutch It's nice to see another realise this conclusion for once.

who cares?

Though sadly many have fallen shamefully, for their obsessions. A man screamed the name of a footballer on his deathbed, then dies.
Last edited on
Firstly, I know that salem is not working for codechef, so this is not about him.

But when one of their agents comes here and starts telling us what to do, it gets personal. I was planning to post those Chef stories (and many more) everywhere. That's what their agents drive me to.

The codechef rats are bad enough, the codechef agents are unbearable.

We will handle the rats ourselves, however we want.

Shut the fuck up, codechef agents!
Cplusplus Vs CodeChef

DEATH MATCH
Last edited on
Sorry, I don't get this, could edit your original post. I made a poem aswell.
Suprisingly, I am unfamiliar with this codechef pandemic. Can you more restrictively explain the actual distasteful element?

Chef stories

Little Elisk Cutter
Towered a gutter
Relishing a bag of pumpkin seeds

He put in his finger
Pulled out a ringer and said
what a good programmer am I...
He choked on the pit, and died
With little, to care for his demise
Last edited on
awesome, besides the op, low-count participants also die.
rip, Sean34
My personal "take" on the codechef issue......

The people who come here are cheating at a competition. For some gain, personal or material I don't know nor care.

Being competent programmers by learning and doing the work themselves isn't their goal.

And this is the future of tech. Cheaters.
And this is the future of tech. Cheaters.

Nah. They won't get through their first interview with any prospective employer.

Of course, it's bad news if you're involved in rectruitment :P
They won't get through the first interview, but it will make interviewers walk on eggshells through a mine-field.

If the people doing these challenges would post some code to show they are actually putting in some effort it wouldn't be so bad.

Just as with homework questions, the people I like to help (and do) are those who show they truly tried on their own before coming here.
So, yet another CC problem has been trashed by the OP, and what replies remain are disjoint and meaningless without context.

Is it even worth bothering with these threads?

And now I have some CC lowlife demanding I help them via PM. For free.

The hubris and unwarranted entitlement of these losers.
My own theory is that CC is about finding OCD/Psychopaths who can hack into systems, a recruiting engine for a nefarious underworld.
Sorry, I know this is an old thread...

CodeChef specifically bills itself as a platform to highlight a programmer’s abilities (in addition to the also-stated goal to help people gain programming skills).

I have personally been asked to practice on various sites by recruiters (though not CF). Unfortunately, many companies (particularly in places like India) appear to at least consider potential talent from CodeChef results. At the very least, doing well on CodeChef is something that potential employees can point to.

I make no claim as to how common this is, though I will agree it is a pretty stupid hiring metric.

People cheat on CodeChef for the same reason they cheat anywhere else: pecuniary gain. Getting a well-paying job is worth it to them. (Even if the method is flawed; they have been led to believe it is worth their time.)

And, unfortunately, there are a lot of places that don’t have very high quality hiring practices...
heh. I dislike cheating but if to get hired you need a good score on a horrible site like that, then yea, I probably would cheat too. I know I can code. I can solve practical well stated problems too. I can make the code run fast (recently beat down code that ran 2 sec/million to 0.4 on a real world real time problem). I can do all that and still not have the patience to deal with poorly worded integer math problems 90% of which have no practical value while trying to compete with loads of people that cheat on top of it all.
I think at last part of the focus of the original question here was about answering posts from Codechef participants, and how many are "drive by" posters, rather demanding, sometimes quite argumentative, and generally a detriment to this site.

So, while CodeChef itself has questionable "contests" (even Euler Project questions have somewhat similar properties), when a detailed question appears from a person with 1 or 2 posts - a lot of responders (and regulars) are starting to resent their appearance.
The questions are round-about and vague, math oriented, and usually much simpler than the question would lead one to believe.

You end up explaining idiotic English rather than the coding. Then sometimes they don't understand the coding, so the question becomes two-fold and the whole endeavor is boring and time consuming.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.