Public wishlist for cplusplus.com

Pages: 123... 16
You may contribute to this thread... just in case the administrator sees it.

1) clickable https:// links

2) default content for first posts anywhere except Lounge and Jobs:

[code]
// your code goes here
[/code]

3) deletion of first post in a thread won't make it look that the first person to reply is the thread author
color C++11 keywords in [code] tags
Default first post should read

Write your question here.

[code]
  Put the code you need help with here.
[/code]
Better moderation. These must be the most abused forums on the internet.
I don't see anything wrong with the moderation here, the only changes needed are minor adjustments to the behavior of the forum's automated parts.

I think the most useful addition would be a simple "quote" button that opens the reply box with the content of the post you want to quote in quote tags.

Do you think we should report Catfish's post to get twicker's attention here?
Last edited on
I disagree with the moderation comment. This forum has dealt perfectly with trolls and the likes.
Other than that, all of the other above (plus maybe something else when I get a chance to sit down and think).
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Just a few minor things, that aren't necessary but could be helpful.

1) I would like a better profile page personally, where you can include more information and see all of the users post not just the last 5 posts.

2) Signatures

All just minor things that I would like but can definitely live without ;p

Last edited on
I'm not up for signatures. However being able to see all of a user's posts would definitely be helpful. Maybe it could be a privacy setting?
3) deletion of first post in a thread won't make it look that the first person to reply is the thread author

Even better - The OP shouldn't be able to delete their first post once someone has responded to it. Perhaps even restrict editing too.
That is already the case Lodger the OP or anyone that replies can't delete their post if there post is not the last post in the thread.

What they are talking about is when someone with a high post count reports someone with a low post count their post will be deleted and that is when that situation happens.
Ahh, so that's how that happens. I stand corrected.
Ironic, I was developing a Chrome extension to inject javascript code to cplusplus.com's pages who added a Quote button near the Report/Reply/Edit ones, just two days ago, but I gave up.
Last edited on
The problem is that you would have to extract the original forum code tags from the HTML/CSS formatting.

"blah"
"blah"
"blah"
"blah"
"blah"
blah
"blah"
"blah"
blah
blah
blah wrote:
blah
blah blah blah
blah
blah blah blah blah blah
I want a `select all' for the code-tags.
And a bike.
What do you mean? You can already select text and click a formatting button. I don't think browsers support multiple-selection either, unless they use Scintilla.
Press Ctrl+A for select all, ne555.
I'd like to have properly-implemented BB-code, mostly because I'm tired of having to work around this forum's regex-based URL detection. It doesn't work for https, you can't put a right-parenthesis immediately after it without a space, and you can't have named links. At a minimum, a fully-functioning [a] or [url] tag would be really useful.

Also, it'd be useful if I could choose whether or not posts that I report get deleted. There should be a Report button that works the same for all users, and then a Delete button that functions the same as the Report button currently does for users with a high-enough post count.

As for signatures, I really don't like them, but I could get used to them so long as there were no images or formatting and they could only be a 1-2 lines long. I don't understand the desire for signatures.
Last edited on
I think new accounts should only be allowed to create new threads in beginner until they've reach something like 15 posts. and 50 posts before they can create threads in the lounge. Most of the time, this will give enough time for the mods to remove/ban a troll account.

The job forum should be open right away as it already is, because companies will create an account just for the purpose of posting a job.

I think maybe adding a C++ game programing forum would be good too. So all the SDL, SFML, etc. questions can all be together in the same forum.
I agree no pictures and about 2 lines long for signatures would be fine for me. The main reason I think they would be helpful is for people that want have their website URL in a signature, or if they have wrote a new article/tutorial they could put the URL in their signatures, or if they have a current project, ect. basically stuff like that. In a sense it just a way to network and display you work. We do have a website portion in the profiles but I am willing to bet most users here don't even know they have profiles on this forum.

Though that could just be from me using dreamincode's forum lately and getting used to their features.

I think new accounts should only be allowed to create new threads in beginner until they've reach something like 15 posts. and 50 posts before they can create threads in the lounge. Most of the time, this will give enough time for the mods to remove/ban a troll account.

The problem with this though is that trolls would just spam the beginner section instead which would be worse since that is where all the questions are asked. So a lot of users questions would just be pushed to the back and not answered because a troll decided to be a troll.

Also it limits new members from participating in the lounge where some of the best conversations happen ;p
Last edited on
I mean to select the code.
Consider a thread with several snips, I want to copy the code in just one.
(no all the code, no all the text, no line numbers either)

By instance http://online-judge.uva.es/board/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=71859 (see the link that says `select all' just beside `code:')
Pages: 123... 16