What's your favourite Desktop Environment?

Pages: 123
I don't LOVE unity, it is pleasant and I am used to it. I installed lxde on top of it today but it didn't work well. The taskbar area did not refresh properly and there was always leftover stuff drawn in it.
tbh if I am stuck with Linux long term for a client I tend to favour KDE or BlackBox. Downside of BlackBox/FluxBox is that you need a bunch of configuration to make it viable
I actually liked Unity quite a bit when I tried it, though it was lacking some customization and so I left it.

I have an old video card, so when I tried to run it at the same time as a new video card for 3 monitors my Unity reverted to Unity2d. I really didn't like Unity2d.

It's not isolated though, When I run the old video-card with Cinnamon, my desktop fallsback to a gnome-fallback DE. Therefore, for old hardware MATE is my favorite.
Last edited on
I personally hate Unity. I've tried pretty much every Linux clone out there, and I just won't use it as my primary OS. Drivers are garbage. Software is 2nd rate compared to what I can get on Windows.

I know people like to brag about the Open Source being better than the commercial stuff, but get real. If you were objective about it, you'd have to admit that the stuff you pay big dollars for is better software than the free stuff, otherwise the free stuff wouldn't be trying so hard to emulate it. And Windows has the better software available, compared to Linux, and all the software "runs out of the box" without having to tinker with it, compile it, etc.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a 4-core 4.3GHz machine with a Radeon HD 7660. I like a black background (solid color), and I keep all icons removed from the Desktop. I don't like distractions. I use PStart as my menu of choice, and have hot-keys assigned to my most used programs. I have a single monitor setup. I ditched my second monitor when I got my new machine, because it was older and had a few bad pixels. I'll wait until I can afford dual 27" at least before I go back to a dual setup again. I do like the dual monitors best for programming. For now, I do use multiple desktops, to keep programs organized. I keep my browser on one, my programming stuff on another, etc. Since I have 16GB RAM, I have no problem keeping open all the programs I use, I just keep them separated on different desktops.

For my editor, well, we won't start that argument in this thread...
For my editor, well, we won't start that argument in this thread...

Why, is it TECO?
Ha ha, I bet it's EditPlus.
rhapdog said:
And Windows has the better software available, compared to Linux, and all the software "runs out of the box" without having to tinker with it, compile it, etc.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha xD

I'd argue that a lot of software nowadays comes precompiled for linux as well, but I assume you're just trolling us.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I just switch from Ubuntu to OpenSuse, and while I was comfortable with Unity and got fairly efficient using it I am also really enjoying Suse's implementation of Gnome Shell.

At this point, I don't really think I care what graphical shell is there, as long as it shows me my applications and doesn't crash all the time.
I use Crunchbang (#!) so I can focus on coding and not worry about tools.
I was going to try Crunchbang, unfortunately it's based on Debian Stable so it's drivers are way out of date and many of my laptops drivers aren't supported -- but are in recent kernels so I settled with OpenSuse.
@darkestfright Are you sure about that? A lot of programmers I know have newer computers and #! installed with no problem at all driver wise. I can't say one way or the other as my laptop is six years old and pretty sure its hardware is antiquated itself.
Gosh damn; I love this forum. I don't know have I never heard of crunch bang before, but it looks pretty awesome.
If you love Vime or Emac where you have to do keyboard shortcuts then crunchbang is perfect for you. Not to mention it has a lot less bloat CPU wise. I would have my CPU running at about 30% when Ubuntu was idling and 20% for other linux distros while idling but crunchbang is nice and fast. While idling, crunchbang(#!) runs no more than 2-3% and seldom get high CPU usage unless I run something like Minecraft.
@BHXSpecter

My biggest issue was the iwlwifi kernel module, just plain doesn't work with the wireless on my card. Of course, I could just compile my own 3.5 kernel (where my card got a working driver), but then I'm at the mercy of keeping my own kernel up to date and I just ain't got time fo dat.

Everything else works fine and I use Debian Jessie on my desktop.
While idling, crunchbang(#!) runs no more than 2-3%

Top on my xfce system says 99.8--100.0% idle, even though xterm in another workspace shows continuous output from ssh session.
mmmmm I think I'm going to like #!. Don't know how I missed this little gem.
My fav : Lxde .
closed account (10oTURfi)
I use Gnome shell. Insane waste of resources, but aesthetically pleasing.
There's a Cairo-Dock desktop environment for ubuntu that I like way more than Unity. Unity always felt clunky to me.

This is what my desktop looks like at the moment:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3268/screenshotfrom201305151w.png

I'm still looking for a good applet to spew system information onto the desktop in a neat way.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
This but it looks more like a dome with all my monitors. I need a 5 inch thick aluminum frame to mount all my monitors. Even the door to my dome has monitors...

I have five of the newest nvidia GPUs with a PC the size of a extra large suitcase.

I also have a very old dell optiplex with a 24 bit gpu and is designed for win98/nt/95/me

http://prntscr.com/161l3n
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Pages: 123