Java, or C++?

Pages: 1234567
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I know, people here are trying to recommend a language, and rapidcoder is like "i don't care what you say, I'm going to make C++ seem like the crappiest language ever. Java is best." At least that's what I'm getting from it.
Fredbill30 wrote:
I know, people here are trying to recommend a language, and rapidcoder is like "i don't care what you say, I'm going to make C++ seem like the crappiest language ever. Java is best." At least that's what I'm getting from it.
Take his comments how you wish, but I don't get the same impression. Personally I like the different opinions he brings to the table. Counteracts some of the c++ elitist mentality some people seem to have.

@IWishIKnew
The fact your surprised the conversation went this route shows you didn't search the topic as it has come up many many times. You want "facts" but ask a question that will undoubtedly illicit opinions. There is no real answer to your question, they are both general purpose languages, the pros/cons come from personal experience and everyone's will be different. Learn both, if you have decent c++ experience picking up java should be fairly easy.
You want "facts" but ask a question that will undoubtedly illicit opinions
Yes, any question which have "What is better?" line will inevitably spark a flame war.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Lol

Fredbill30 wrote:
and rapidcoder is like "i don't care what you say, I'm going to make C++ seem like the crappiest language ever. Java is best." At least that's what I'm getting from it.

That is quite funny actually. I believe you are reading things that aren't there or you are making up stuff. For one his first post on this thread was this

Rapidcoder wrote:
Locking yourself in a single language is foolish and learning new syntax is usually the easiest part.

But if you really have to decide on one single language - choose pure C. Pure C can be compiled on everything, probably everyone knows it, and almost every other language can easily interoperate with code written in C.

So I have no idea where you get that impression from.

Hmm that really does seem like he is trying to make C++ seem like the "crappiest language ever" and "Java is the best" ;p

After that unless I missed a post of his he doesn't say really anything against C++ just is talking about different issues with it and other languages.

I just find it quite stupid that people can't discuss the pro's and con's of a language without calling each other Java lovers or C++ lovers. Each one is a programmer and each one will need to know the other language if they want to be a programmer, so whats the big deal?
Last edited on
@OP: You should learn both just so you can fully appreciate this thread. :)
@Zereo

I just think the problem is lately Java is one of those languages that's "The Thing". It's a great language, I use it as well as C++. I think Java code is comfortable writing in, and is easy on your eyes. However some people want to use it for everything and think that we should just forget about everything else. Every popular language has this group (including C++) but Java stands out a bit more. Surely however something new will be "The Thing", i.e lately Ruby on Rails has been a big hype.
This is a problem for people who primarily use Java primarily but aren't "Java Lover's" I even met a woman who thought we should be using Cobol as our primary language, so to say that it's just Java that has these kind of people is quite off.
@naraku
I searched it. I got such inconsistent answers that I posted this thread. Obviously the only consistency is inconsistency...
I searched it. I got such inconsistent answers that I posted this thread. Obviously the only consistency is inconsistency...
It always comes down to apples or oranges. Just don't bring up Vim/Emacs in the same sentence... Wait...
I know they're both text editors and I hate them both. :p
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I didn't see Rapid's first post. Anyway, I honestly never heard of people dying to learn Java until Minecraft became popular.
Java was popular way before minecraft became popular. People were excited for it when it was release in 1995 the language itself is older then you are ;p and I believe it started to become popular with colleges in early 2000.

If anything Minecraft shows why games should not be made in Java.

And get ready for the new flame war lol

I don't think Minecraft was bad because Java was used as the language.
I don't think Minecraft was bad because Java was used as the language.
Minecraft is slow despite optimizations. However, the modding community would not have been able to take off if Minecraft were written in e.g. C++, because Java makes it extremely easy to modify existing software with decompilers that decompile back to actual Java code.

Minecraft is an example of all the good things and bad things that come with making a game in Java. For he general purpose I would advise not making a game in Java or C#, but if you want a good modding community pick Java or C#.
Minecraft is an example of all the good things and bad things that come with making a game in Java. For he general purpose I would advise not making a game in Java or C#, but if you want a good modding community pick Java or C#.

I will agree with that.
Agreed, unless you have an engine for a modding community, C++ doesn't leave a lot of room. (Even when you have an engine, it still isn't as powerful). So basically, you release your source code for really high end modding. (Still, you don't have to. Most of Bethesda's games have very popular modding communities).
Last edited on
LB wrote:
I would advise not making a game in Java or C#

Bastion was done with C#, a top seller on Steam and I personally enjoyed it. I prefer C++ for game coding and I use C# for business apps. However, games can be made in C# fine. There are several libs and engines that support it too.
Last edited on
Correction Indie games can be made in C# and Java just fine, its a whole different story for 3D games and AAA games (I mean completely written in C# or Java not parts of the project).

I don't think he meant that games can't be made in C# just that sometimes it might not be the best language to use for the job. C# and Java are great platforms for 2D style Indie games and make the development of them games much easier, but that is about as far as they can go as of right now.

That is my opinion at least.
Last edited on
Right... Bastion is 3D by the way, granted, its not the same quality as let say Skyrim... But it is still a nice polished 3D isometric game.
I wouldn't call Bastion really a 3D game... I have never played it granted but from every screenshot/Video I have seen for awhile now is the environments are 2D and the characters seem to be rendered in 3D.

Basically it is a top down 2D action RPG with 3D elements. So in truth it is a 2D game.
Last edited on
Pages: 1234567