How'd Trick or Treating Go?

Pages: 1... 456789
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
No, I take the small ones.

whats your point?
Lumpkin wrote:
Well, we like to blow out the candles in the pumpkins. I'd say that's pretty harmless.

Except now they have to go out and re-light it and if there are wet leaves anywhere they could end up falling because of slipping. :P

Nothing is free and nothing is harmless. Every action has consequences, some more severe than others.
@ Lumpkin: Psst, you're not helping yourself. The small ones are usually the ones you use to make pie. Don't get worked up over this thread, just let it die. The only reason anyone is grilling you over this is because they want to make sure you know what people outside of your group of delinquent friends actually think about your actions.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
Come on, there is nothing harmful about blowing the candles out. There are plenty of harmless pranks.

EDIT: Woah, Woah, Woah...Those are the ones you use for making pumpkin pies. That is BAD. I love pie :D.

EDIT 2: Fixed punctuation.
Last edited on
Come on, there is nothing harmful about blowing the candles out. There are plenty of harmless pranks.

so says the person pulling the prank
@retsgorf297
Actually I was talking form experience. My grandmother didn't do trick or treat, but kept pumpkins out. Some kid pranked her and blew it out. When she went out to re-light it, she did exactly that, slipped on wet leaves and broke her leg. Some passing trick or treaters called the ambulance.

Nothing is harmless because anything can happen from it.
Nothing is harmless because anything can happen from it.

Well, if you think of it like that. But that is a stupid not-so-smart way of thinking about it.
But that is a stupid not-so-smart way of thinking about it.

your as bad as fred. so its fine that his grandmother breaking her leg is fine? there is a difference between having fun and infringing on other people
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Okay, I shouldn't walk on grass because if I don't it may cause a chain reaction that ends up with the cure for cancer.

I didn't know that smaller ones are made into pie. I'll just take computer's advice and let this die.
@ retsgorf297: Indeed, the smaller ones make for a sweeter product.

Not to make light of BHXSpecter's grandmother (as someone with a very stubborn great grandmother I know what it's like to hear news like that) but I've been making my Jack O' Lanterns solar powered for years, why hasn't this caught on yet?
Okay, I shouldn't walk on grass because if I don't it may cause a chain reaction that ends up with the cure for cancer
your over thinking this. we are only saying it is bad to do things to other peoples property because they wont give you candy!

but I've been making my Jack O' Lanterns solar powered for years, why hasn't this caught on yet?
god, im surrounded by engineers
@ DTSCode: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Creations-JB5629-Solar-Powered-Accent/dp/B002X8X8UG All you need to do is lengthen the wire from the solar panel to the capacitor\battery and make sure the panel has sunlight then leave it out in the sun for the day. After a few hours of charging you get a nice and bright Jack O' Lantern all night long.

EDIT: You take the garden light apart obviously. There is really no benefit to leaving it intact as the plastic frame just adds bulk.
Last edited on
that is why i love this site lol
so its fine that his grandmother breaking her leg is fine?

Heck no. But that view of things isn't so smart.

your over thinking this. we are only saying it is bad to do things to other peoples property because they wont give you candy!

But BHX said nothing is harmless, which means everything is harmful.

I was going to say some more stuff on this, but if I type some more it might be harmful. It could somehow shoot electricity at my sister in front of me.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong thing.
Last edited on
retsgorf297 wrote:
Well, if you think of it like that. But that is a stupid not-so-smart way of thinking about it.

Well beside sounding like an ass, there are shows dedicated to the 'harmless' things that end in bad ways. There are even viral videos of 'harmless' pranks that don't end harmlessly. You are forgetting, 'harmless' pranks are dependant on the reaction of the prankee, and if they react more than you planned, the pranker could be hurt or the prankee could get hurt. I've seen simple 'harmless' scare pranks end with concussions because the prankee jumped so bad that they fell and hit their head.

what are you talking about? your just trying to rationalize it for yourself. if you pull pranks on someones house no matter how small there is going to be a negative consequence that the prankers arent thinking about

No, what isn't smart is thinking everything can kill you. I'm old enough to know that 'nothing is harmless' is a factual statement and not a fear induced statement. Hell, my son's weekend nurse has fallen two or three times just walking in the street.
http://i.imgur.com/zqvtKPQ.jpg
@Mob
You made your point. So back off.

You are right that his actions were wrong, however, I absolutely cannot stand that you've ganged up on him and are all grilling him, telling him that it was wrong and why it was wrong without demonstrating to him, as Computergeek01 said earlier, even the slightest bit of tact. Right now, all you're doing is getting him defensive.

The approach of trying to make a party merely feel guilty in order to bring about change is a horrible approach. It tends to make people defensive, and how are they supposed to learn in that situation? In the situations where it does work, it ends up leaving scars. Your approach is terrible. Anyone who tells you otherwise is delusional.

If he hasn't gotten the point now, he won't get it after any more grilling. Emphasis on the grilling. If you want to help, try a more understanding/explanatory approach. Of course, it's too late for that. You've already villainized yourselves. Congratulations.

@Lumpkin
On that note, I am not trying to defend your actions. Stealing and vandalizing is in most cases wrong (and there are very few cases where it isn't), and this is no exception. There's a difference between a (mostly) harmless prank and vandalism/abuse/theft/etcetra, and it seems like you haven't yet learned to respect that difference. Just don't do it in the future. I can't say I particularly care that others have done it, as it doesn't make it right.

Practically everyone will look down on your actions as immature and wrong. My advice? If you want to be known as someone mature for their age, work on earning our respect. If something doesn't work out your way, then don't throw a hissy fit or try to extract vengeance. Find a way to either make it work your way in a more mature way (reason with the owners of the houses who don't provide candy so that they might provide it next year) and accept defeat if it doesn't work (owner of the house throws stuff at you), and/or find some way to make up for the thing not working (run to the next few houses to make up for lost time). Do you get my point, roughly?

@chrisname
I retract my earlier statement about you possibly having issues.

@Computergeek01
You deserve a medal.

EDIT: A lot got posted after I started writing this. O_o

@BHXSpecter
While you're technically right, be careful about how far you take that principle of "everything can be harmful". Just because something can happen doesn't mean it's likely/severe enough to outweigh the potential benefit received from taking an action. I'm not implying that blowing out pumpkins is a good thing. I'm just adding a disclaimer.

-Albatross
Last edited on
@albatross: you must be seeing things. there is no user named mob on here
and at the @lumpkin like dont you do the same thing you told us to not to?
Pages: 1... 456789