You being a programmer, what does penmanship mean to you

Pages: 123456
closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
Judging? I just said I lack eloquence. I do not manifest much eloquence, much talent with the english language. I didn't glorify or praise anything...

I said helios clearly doesn't like my posts, just as he doesn't like other posts which aren't clear. That's THE EPITOME of my posts, So it's no surprise helios does not like my posts. It's good that helios doesn't like my posts, neither do I, but I must deliver them in that manner to cope with society.

Since we're talking about it, I was intrigued by this extract you posted a while ago: http://secure15.com/MTAxOTAzMA
Could you summarise the vignette? I am slightly interested to see if this preliminary statement is as cliche as the story itself.
Last edited on
What you lack isn't just eloquence. You certainly lack that, because just now your obtuse phrasing made zapshe think you wanted to say P and had said !P, when in fact !P was both what you said and what you intended.

If I had to put in one word what you lack, I'd have to say it's coherence. For multiple reasons, your posts are incoherent.
The first step towards improvement is to stop trying to wow your interlocutor with your vocabulary, as I said, and not to use words you don't understand.
The second step, which will likely take several months if not years, is to familiarize yourself with how English speakers construct sentences so you can communicate your thoughts succinctly. Read and listen as much as you can. I recommend podcasts of whatever subject you're interested in, as long as it's hosted by natives.

Again, succinctness. Verbosity is the enemy of comprehension. Perfection is reached not when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing more to remove.
If I had to put in one word what you lack.
And let this be a reminder not to get tripped up on ungrammatical sentence construction Carol :]
Sorry, but where's the error in that sentence?
Well Carol, no need to apologize, use of the word 'what' in this sentence is ungrammatical. There are only 2 choices for your sentence, 'that' or 'which', and they have a grammatical rule associated with their correct usage.
I did misread that, my bad.

Could you summarise the vignette? I am slightly interested to see if this preliminary statement is as cliche as the story itself.

I'd have to look back to see what the rest of the story was. I was paid to audition for the part and didn't get it - not that I was too sad about it. Stupid though, if you need God to feel brave, then you're not really brave. It's false bravado brought on by the fact that they feel like they're backed up by a divine being - that's as far away from bravery as I can imagine.

stop trying to wow your interlocutor with your vocabulary

More than that, he tries to wow the reader with the commentary and questions he asks. I don't think he can fix himself - but maybe he'll prove me wrong.

And let this be a reminder not to get tripped up on ungrammatical sentence construction Carol :]

Well, let's find you a suitable name as well. Whenever you're not being ignored (which from now on will be most of the time), we'll call you ultra-lube.
ultra-lube - that's a good one - http://ultralube.com.au/

Call them up to service the pickup at your home. Be prepared though - they only take prepayments in cash at trailer camp addresses.

Be careful with them thar men in dresses Billy-Boy
There are only 2 choices for your sentence, 'that' or 'which', and they have a grammatical rule associated with their correct usage.
No, that's completely incorrect.
"If I had to put in one word that you lack" and "if I had to put in one word which you lack" would mean that I think Rascake lacks a word. I don't even know what it would mean for a person to "lack a word".

The sentence is grammatically correct. "What" in this usage is a pronoun that means "that which" or "the thing that", so "if I had to put in one word what you lack" means "if I had to put in one word the thing that you lack", which is also correct.
You guys have been arguing about that since last year. New years is great for this one reason.
Well, here it was already past midnight when I posted my supposedly ungrammatical sentence, so nyah.
Different time zone. New year began a bit over an hour ago for me.
English speakers, "don’t use what as a relative pronoun. We use which "
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/what#Pronoun (second sense)

Example usage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_pronoun#Antecedents
In a free relative clause, a relative pronoun has no antecedent: the relative clause itself plays the role of the co-referring element in the main clause. For example, in "I like what you did", what is a relative pronoun, but without an antecedent. The clause what you did itself plays the role of a nominal (the object of like) in the main clause. A relative pronoun used this way is sometimes called a fused relative pronoun, since the antecedent appears fused into the pronoun (what in this example can be regarded as a fusion of that which).
"What you did" and "what you lack" are structurally equivalent phrases.
That's as may be, nothing new to me. There is an antecedent in your mangled (Cockney-like?) sentence, Carol.
If I had to put in one word what you lack, I'd have to say it's coherence. For multiple reasons, your posts are incoherent.
The first step towards improvement is to stop trying to wow your interlocutor with your vocabulary, as I said, and not to use words you ...
Thank for for your kind advice, however I really am not in need of studying english. I've spent most of my life in the UK, years of British cartoons didn't amount to nothing. Perhaps if you assess me, I will ask you a question, which I wrote absolutely naturally, and did not tinker to "titivate".

What action would you take if you un-knowingly drank a poisoned drink, where only after you've fully gulped it down you realise you will be lying immobile on the ground. Would you succumb calmly or attempt to take a life down with you? What I am trying to see if people naturally feel inclined to take a life with them, whether vindictively or not, when they realise that their life will come to an end imminently.

EDIT: It says edit for typos. I didn't add any arcane words after I write it freely. Kicking myself that I didn't replace some words, however.

Last edited on
What action would you take if you un-knowingly drank a poisoned drink, where only after you've fully gulped it down you realise you will be lying immobile on the ground. Would you succumb calmly or attempt to take a life down with you? What I am trying to see if people naturally feel inclined to take a life with them, whether vindictively or not, when they realise that their life will come to an end imminently.
Well, that looks pretty reasonable to me. Whatever it is you did differently from your other posts, do that all the time.

That said, I do have a note: "lying immobile on the ground" and "being dead" are not synonymous. Most people would not consider such a synecdoche acceptable.
But is it really a synecdoche? Or just understatement?
Thank you, I did think so. Otherwise it's an interesting question. I exhibit a predilection for how the scene was delivered in a book. I think the ingenious writers tend to kill of more stronger characters in a book by causing them to die by some creative happenstance, rather than by the frail victim suddenly inhumanly acquiring superhuman strength. However in the case of the drink, the only realistic reason for lethally laced drink to be present in the first place, is due to a suicidal intention. Which isn't ideal.

"You put salt in your beverage?"
"Now we have a problem"
But is it really a synecdoche? Or just understatement?
I guess it is an understatement, but you can't really say that an understatement is unacceptable. What would you say when someone omits a very relevant detail in favor of a much less relevant one? Deception?
It's not acceptable to me. But I don't like phrases like "passed away" or "committed suicide", either. Especially the latter since it makes it sound like a crime, which I guess it was at one time.
Pages: 123456