vlad from moscow

Pages: 123... 9
At the time of this posting, his account has "limited functionality".
http://www.cplusplus.com/user/vlad_from_moscow/

So what now, should we ask the administrator to unban him?
How did you even find this out?
How did you even find this out?

I think that is, in Vlad's terminology, a stupidy.

As JLBorges mentioned, if he can refrain from the invective, Vlad can be an asset to the community. I agree. The question is will he refrain (or as much as he seemed to be pushing to get himself banned recently, will he even want to return?)
closed account (z05DSL3A)
It has been a few weeks since the account was restricted. He has either moved on or started another account.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
He is very helpful when he is not calling people idiots. It was almost like he wanted to be banned.
He was probably banned because of the fact that almost every post he blatantly insulted people for not doing things the way he thought they should have been done.

I forget how many times he called different posters 'idiot(s)' and 'stupid' during the thread where we broke down to discussing the proper way of doing pointers (ie int* p; or int *p;).

This forum is supposed to be helpful and we are supposed to watch our replies like any other forum. We are expected to not be so harsh toward others, but I'm pretty sure repeatedly calling people 'idiots' and 'stupid' doesn't achieve that at all.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Vlad could be a prick at times, but he did offer me good advice on more than one occasion. I never personally was insulted by him more than once or twice so I can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't mind having him back.
> but he did offer me good advice on more than one occasion
> I can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't mind having him back.

Yes.

I would expect that to be the general consensus amongst those of us who come to this forum primarily for learning C++, helping others trying to learn C++, or both (ie. members who don't spend most - if not all - their time camping in the lounge). We tend to value C++ knowledge above social graces (which does not need to be anything more than merely acceptable, the odd aberration excepted).

There is a reasonable chance that, if Vlad does come back, he would decide to stay within those bounds. And I think that it is a chance worth taking.
Last edited on
It is common forum etiquette to treat others with respect. In regards to vlad, he failed at this. I am willing to bet that is why they banned him as I can't recall him ever actually getting reported. I do remember in a beginner thread I took part in, he called the OP stupid because he did pointers like (int* p). Then when everyone kept telling him not to call members stupid or other names he started calling them idiots and stupid for being offended. An admin could read that as not being respectful to others. Sadly, vlad was disrespectful in that regard repeatedly and didn't show any interest in changing as I remember quite a few veteran members constantly telling him to refrain from insulting users which he ignored and continued to do so.

Knowledge shouldn't come at the cost of treating others with respect.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Was just about to make a thread about this. I think he wanted to get banned.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
People care enough to make a topic about a single user? (yes, I am a hypocrite for posting in it).
Vlad had a glaring self confidence problem, I believe he contributed here simply to stroke his ego. There is no question that he knew what he knew inside and out, but the minute that anyone would offer an alternative answer he would jump into an Ad Hominum attack and pretty much derail the thread. His kind of contribution added value in the sense that it answered questions in a direct and concise manner but he pretty much killed any chance of actual discussion or learning. I remember people wouldn't even be able to ask him to explain things without the risk of being insulted. Yes I'm being harsh here, but most of you already know that I'm a jerk and even I don't treat people the way that Vlad did.

If it wasn't a novelty account then I think Grey Wolf is right, he's moved on by now.

MHO: That user is welcome to make another account, but I don't think that the ban from that specific username should be lifted.
closed account (D80DSL3A)
Vlad had a glaring self confidence problem..

What he really had was an asshole problem. He was a bully whose real reason for being here was to abuse others for his own amusement.
If he were to return his behavior might be better for a short while but I'm certain it would revert because that's what he's here for.
His banning was long overdue. Quite simply, good riddance.
I never experienced or seen vlad be an arsehole, he was a rare person to say something who was always funny, i feel like hes dead and im eulogizing him, someone bring him back.

I demand it as self appointed king of c++.com
I never experienced or seen vlad be an arsehole

I have many times.
he was a rare person to say something who was always funny

He was when he was not calling others idiots and stupid.
someone bring him back.

He deserved to be banned. He might/probably wanted to be banned, at least that is what it seemed like.
I really don't think "idiot" is that bad of a label. If someone called me an idiot, that is better than some other things I could be called. I would like to see Vlad return.
@Manga Yes, I can understand that. But,
ComputerGeek01 wrote:
but the minute that anyone would offer an alternative answer he would jump into an Ad Hominum attack and pretty much derail the thread. His kind of contribution added value in the sense that it answered questions in a direct and concise manner but he pretty much killed any chance of actual discussion or learning. I remember people wouldn't even be able to ask him to explain things without the risk of being insulted.
I demand it as self appointed king of c++.com

Good luck taking the claim from the big 3.
@Austin Who's the "big 3"?
Oh, well in my opinion (as a joke somewhat)

Helios, Duoas, Disch.
Pages: 123... 9