• Forum
  • Lounge
  • If you could learn one thing from your a

If you could learn one thing from your ancestors?

Pages: 1234
If you could learn any one thing from your ancestors (something they knew and preferably isn't known or commonly known today) what would it be?

I'm mostly Norwegian (Swedish and Danish as well, with other small things) so I'd say I would really like to learn the Berserker's fighting style. They entered a trance known as Berserkergang, which caused them to go in an absolute inhuman fury. Berserkergang was outlawed by King Erik and eventually disappeared however. We're not completely sure how they did it, but apparently there have been recreation attempts. Can't lie though going by the accounts of what Berserkers did, I don't blame Erik for outlawing it. They were known to kill not only the enemy, but anyone else around them, even it was say their closest friend. I'd want to know this more for the sake of knowing about my origins, not so I can hurt people.

Note: If you're wondering how going into a raging fit is capable of being "lost to history" it's because these weren't normal fits of rage. I mean going by what's been found out about them they became very strong, very fast, and very emotional. However after the effect wore off they would be very fatigued and prone to depression for several days. It's more so the psychological part that intrigues me. Whatever it was, it caused them to be anything but human-like.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
its not lost to history... i recently went through the same thing when i had to stop watching breaking bad ;) uhhhmmmm as to your question... if it has to pertain to where your from: how true was the story of Beowulf (im from denmark)? if not: how were the pyramids built?
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I would like to know what humans thought of as Nephelim when they recorded it.
I would like to know what humans thought of as Nephelim when they recorded it

Quite similar in thought with me except I would like to go back all the way to the beginning to find what actually happened in the start of time and then come back and end the never ending debate/craziness.
I had some very talented artists from my ancestory. I would love to acquire their talent.
Caveman style survivalist skills.
These raging fits sound surprisingly like what a human would do if extremely wound up and full of adrenaline. Superhuman bursts of strength are a fact of life in extreme situations. I doubt there is anything more than this to that story.
The pyramids were built with harsh slave labour.
Everything in the past seems worse than now.
I wouldn't want to go back to learn anything. =/
'Berserkergang' sound very much like they were und drugs
Mats wrote:
These raging fits sound surprisingly like what a human would do if extremely wound up and full of adrenaline. Superhuman bursts of strength are a fact of life in extreme situations. I doubt there is anything more than this to that story.

I think it's the rituals that they supposedly did to trigger the state that is supposed to be of interest, in particular, whether it could be reproduced nowadays. Then again, some people think it may simply have been a manifestation of a psychological disorder we now call Intermittent Explosive Disorder, but where we consider it a disorder, they saw it as a character trait that could be exploited and weaponised.

Superhuman bursts of strength are a fact of life in extreme situations.

If you're talking about the various "mum lifts car off of trapped son"-themed stories, I think those are myths. Humans do become stronger in life-or-death situations, but not by that much. The supposed reason for the increased strength is that your nervous system recruits more motor units (groups of muscle fibres) than usual with increased adrenaline. Supposedly, you normally use fewer of them because otherwise your muscles could exert too much force on your tendons and ligaments and damage them -- but obviously, in a life-or-death situation, that's a secondary concern. Adrenaline also causes blood vessels to expand and increases the heart rate to increase blood flow to your muscles and also to sensory organs to improve your primary senses.

The pyramids were built with harsh slave labour.

Much evidence suggests otherwise: http://news.discovery.com/history/ancient-egypt/pyramids-tombs-giza-egypt.htm
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
If you're talking about the various "mum lifts car off of trapped son"-themed stories, I think those are myths.
i have seen people lift cars, so it is definitly possible. as to the other, i dont think its a myth. its a rush of adrenaline. ive done things that i normally couldnt when that happens (and im not physically fit) so i think it would definitly be possible
Thanks for the info Chrisname! :)
My ancestors stole the crown jewels
xD devon lol. So... what would you learn from them? :P
DTSCode wrote:
i have seen people lift cars

I'm sure you have seen people lift one corner or side of a car, or maybe even an entire car with some kind of pulley system, but I doubt you've ever seen someone lift an entire car with nothing but his own strength, and I very much doubt that it was an untrained middle-aged woman.
Last edited on
I don't doubt for a second that a mom could lift a car enough to free her child trapped underneath it if the adrenaline was rushing... but not like lifting the entire car off the ground and holding it over her head or something. I think some of these stories may be hyperbolized.

Adrenaline is insane. It increases your heart rate and oxygen flow, desensitizes you to pain and fatigue, and allows your muscles to contract further than they normally do.

Have you ever pushed yourself too hard during a physical activity and ended up sore afterwards? Like lifting something that was just a little too heavy?

It's the same principle. Your body is capable of lifting that object... it's just that the act of doing so causes physical damage. Adrenaline kicks in when you feel a life-or-death need to do something... so your body throws aside its safeguards which prevent you from pushing yourself too hard. You don't feel the pain or exhaustion you're actually experiencing... which allows you to keep pushing and pushing beyond what you'd normally be able to do.

If you've ever been in a serious car crash or some kind of accident and an ambulance shows up... they will insist on checking to see if you're okay, even if you say you feel fine. Why? Because if adrenaline is flowing you might have broken ribs, torn muscles, and/or open wounds and you simply might not realize it because you're desensitized.
My ancestors were also dinosaurs, I guess I would like t know how to survive an apocalyptic meteor.
Survive???

Erm...

Devon...

yeah the ancestors that were dinosaurs survived the meteor and evolved into ratty mammals then monkeys and then yours truly right here in the digital flesh.
Can't tell if devon is joking or if he knows nothing about evolution.
Can't tell if devon is joking or if he knows nothing about evolution.

http://www.pushselectmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/super-mario-bros-movie-goomba.jpg
Last edited on
Pages: 1234