Lounge - September 2017

by helios
Compress data or compress executable?

I need to embed some binary data in my program and I'm torn between compressing the compiled binary with UPX or compressing the data with LZ4 at compile time an...
[6 replies] Last: Great, thanks! I don't think any of those are huge problems for my par... (by helios)
Bad advice and bad functions

Well since i joined this forum i have come to know about bad programming practices like using eof() or goto or system(), etc. Suprisingly all these methods wer...
[10 replies] Last: @ ondrej008 OP didn’t use logic resembling anything even close to w... (by Duthomhas)
Crap...

So after just shy of nineteen years working for them, the company tells us they are closing with immediate effect. Time to refocus, hit the books and plurals...
[5 replies] Last: Good luck, CodeMonkey! I actually recently just started looking at som... (by Ganado)
by amg412
Is there a book that is an intro to C++ as well as the GNU toolchain?

I want to learn C++ and the GNU toolchain(especially autotools) simultaneously. Do you guys recommend this, and is there a book(or website) you can recommend me...
[1 reply] : > Is there a book that is an intro to C++ as well as the GNU toolchain... (by JLBorges)
core wars

Hi, if you are expecting to see me challenging you playing core wars, no I am here to ask how imp works Mov 0, 1 I know what Mov means but I don't know what...
[8 replies] Last: nah, of course I am not assuming...considering core wars is a really d... (by Flaze07)
C++ FAQ

I'm baaaaaack! I've been without internet access for a while now, alas. In any case, the FAQ is not dead... I'm reserving this topic for linking purposes. ...
[9 replies] Last: > Strain on eyes is least. ...until you are sitting in front of the b... (by Duthomhas)
The spambots are getting pretty good at it...

It's been a really long time since I created my account, but as I have been visiting at night, I find myself flagging a lot of spam that comes really quick. I'm...
[12 replies] Last: Captcha is supposed to separate computers from humans by requiring pot... (by Duthomhas)
Xcode 9 and Git

Might be interesting for Mac users. Apple’s latest IDE version, Xcode 9, is being released along with iOS 11 this September. And it's a huge update! Fans ...
[no replies]
WinBGIm, anyone?

Every year I get a lot of requests for a working WinBGIm. (Ever since 2005 when I helped that one person...) Since that time we have newer and better version...
[6 replies] Last: Back in the days of 16-bit ... Borland created a nice little library ... (by Duthomhas)
Help with Calculator

I'm trying to create a claculator that asks: For each computation, before getting the numbers, ask the user if they want to perform: • integer arithmetic (wh...
[1 reply] : http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/221561/ (by helios)
sorting and copying array

Okay it looks like a copied the initial random numbers, but unable to sort it for some reason i couldn't figure it out. Im not sure if my for loop is working pr...
[1 reply] : okay it looks like the random numbers are sorted out -----> solved but... (by hsv8962)
by Ganado
XML editing

When you search "XML escape characters" you will get various results, one of them being https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1091945/what-characters-do-i-need-to...
[3 replies] Last: Thanks both, I'll try out XML Notepad on windows. (by Ganado)
Stupid movies tick me off

Just spent time watching "The Curse of Sleeping Beauty". If something, somewhere, had warned me that Briar Rose was the evil one, I wouldn't have bothered. ...
[1 reply] : well, you ignored the 4.3 in imdb and the 15/34 in rotten tomatoes ht... (by ne555)
Default C++ Selection Under 'Reference'

Any chance the default selection could be changed from C++98 to C++11 (Or newer =D) when looking under the reference tab? Seems like it would be a really quick ...
[no replies]
Underestimated Programming Problems

I was watching a talk from C++Now by Niko Matsakis, and at around here https://youtu.be/lO1z-7cuRYI?t=3608 he mentions the URL parser for Firefox, and how it's...
[5 replies] Last: Everything that deals with dates and times (and timezones) in a more i... (by plexus)
What would you include in an introductory document for newborn AIs?

I'm working on a conversational AI based on neural networks. Nothing fancy. However, I am creating a document to use for training purposes, to "familiarize" it ...
[2 replies] Last: Does this hypothetical AI already have a vocabulary? If it does, then ... (by helios)
antivirus wars?

I have observed a very funny fact about norton and mcafee antivirus programs. If you install them both they detect each other as harmful programs.
[2 replies] Last: This is probably intentional since having two AV systems installed at ... (by Computergeek01)
Beta Tester wanted

Just fixed some smaller bugs in one of my apps - Path Variable Editor and could need some volunteers to test it. What is needed? Any Windows with VS 2010 or Vis...
[no replies]
by blink2
(dark corner)seeking mentor for project of grand design

Hello. Designing a program which will feature a few different types of functions. Seeking a mentor for a little guidance on what I can and cannot do effectively...
[1 reply] : Even noting that you don't want to discuss the program in public, sayi... (by Albatross)
by helios
New kind of spam?

Lately I've been seeing these kinds of questions, where a completely new user asks an off-topic question and then another new user replies with a link somewhere...
[8 replies] Last: [quote=MikeyBoy]Yep, looks like spam to me. IMHO you should report and... (by closed account E0p9LyTq)
  Archived months: [aug2017] [oct2017]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.