Lounge - August 2012

Bash command questions

So I'm doing a lab dealing with the bash shell, and hit a question I'm not sure on. It's dealing with the asterisk (*), and I'm not sure exactly what it does. A...
[16 replies] Last: Well from what I ended up finding online, after 2.6, linux stopped shi... (by ResidentBiscuit)
Wireless NIC linux

I know some of you here are using linux and I currently have a linksys WMP300n, when I bought it I wasn't thinking drivers but now I have trouble with them (nee...
[12 replies] Last: Well done, glad it got sorted. :) All the best, NwN (by closed account o3hC5Di1)
Where to start???

I hav studied C++, 6 years ago in my clg. With on going some personal issues, I lost my connection with programing. But now, wen everything I knew is washed awa...
[1 reply] : I would suggest that you revise the basics of C++. Grab a good book an... (by Dash)
Im pretty good at math but what math shoul i learn for game programming?

I've been teaching myself c++ for several months and later on will move to broader topics such as APIs and libraries like OpenGL and DirectX because I want to b...
[1 reply] : Not sure about books but for subjects... - Trigonometry - Vectors - M... (by MrHutch)
Math Books

Hi guys, So recently I got this message stating that an ordered book won't arrive, instead I get a refund in coupons, in other words I have to get another b...
[8 replies] Last: great.. I hope someone wll do this for you (by edwardjacobis)
Am I a bad programmer if..

Hey All, I recently found out I am through to the next round of a programming competition, and so I am trying to prepare myself. Is it bad if I cannot do the fo...
[4 replies] Last: Thanks for the responses, I will be sure to study that up. (by Script Coder)
First real Program!!!!!!!!!!!

Background: I switched to the new linux ubuntu which wouldnt work with my wifi card for some reason but because it had c and c++ compilers i was too lazy to sw...
[11 replies] Last: I switched to the new linux ubuntu which wouldnt work with my wifi ca... (by closed account 3hM2Nwbp)
Delay time

Hello i need help friends actually i am new in c++ world and my teacher gave me an assignment he told me to print "hello" and every alphabet should be pri...
[4 replies] Last: thnxx :) (by jaspreet013)
Need advice for computing classes (1,2)

Hi, I know this is a C++ forum but having used it previously and receiving such useful help I thought I'd try asking for help in choosing my classes. So ther...
[20 replies] Last: [quote=darkestfright]You mean like the on-going battle between the Ext... (by chrisname)
by Aceix
Dunno wat to do

Can anyone suggest any project I should do? I am a beginner...
[13 replies] Last: For programming challenges http://uva.onlinejudge.org/index.php?option... (by ne555)
by Aceix
Nice program here! (1,2)

Comes with the code and app. Just unrar. http://www.mediafire.com/?ftugr5zytbf3f25
[20 replies] Last: Yea, I meant on the next line, I'll fix it. (by closed account N36fSL3A)
by ascii
Personality Type (1,2)

For the past few years I've been interested in personality typing, so I've created this thread for the members of this forum to share their personality type, as...
[26 replies] Last: Remember that on a programmer's forum, you will obviously have a selec... (by chrisname)
by ToniAz
For New Features on C++.com? (1,2)

Hello everyone! For a board dedicated to programmers/coders, it sure does miss out on a lot of features supported by other forums. I think C++.com should sup...
[21 replies] Last: I want a `select all' for the code-tags. And a bike. (by ne555)
by ruyh
Can I ask questions about C programming on this website?

Can I ask C programming questions, in the beginners forum of course, since I am one. (I did try google the answer first at least 0:) I know this probably sou...
[4 replies] Last: I doubt it'll be a problem. Besides, people post C related questions a... (by closed account zb0S216C)
Need some serious advice !

I am about to complete the last year of my College . I started programming in the hope of becoming a great Software engineer . However ,something went wrong som...
[8 replies] Last: "the shark opens its mouth to the bigger number" Heh, I was taught... (by firedraco)
If Goto is "considered harmful," then so can... (1,2,3)

I can't find some web article I glanced over long ago which argued something like: if the goto statement is "considered harmful," then so can all the other co...
[46 replies] Last: Oh, thanks for clarifying. (by Ben Bowen)
Networking is boring.

This summer I took on a job at my university as pretty much the assistant to the network admin. I learned a ton over the course of two months, one of these thin...
[3 replies] Last: Networking is boring when everything runs as it should (after initial ... (by closed account o3hC5Di1)
I Just Had Surgery, and I'm Looking for a Project

As the title says, I just had surgery less than 24 hours ago, and now I'm looking for a fun programming project to pass the time. I was thinking of something al...
[6 replies] Last: You have a point. I'll give it a try :) Thanks, chrisname :) Wa... (by closed account zb0S216C)
by Disch
People aren't lazy (1,2,3)

(Note I might sound a little crazy in this thread but I stand by my claims.) This is mostly a reply to BHXSpecter's comment in another thread, here: http://cpl...
[58 replies] Last: You say that like it's a bad thing. (by Moschops)
Bash shell questions

So I'm in an OS class right now. First lab is pretty much fiddle around with the Bash shell. Anyway, the professor has an example of displaying a directory in r...
[6 replies] Last: Some flags have a long (meaningful) equivalent. Also you could pass ar... (by ne555)
August 2012 Pages: 123... 5
  Archived months: [jul2012] [sep2012]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.