Lounge - February 2013

Formula for nth derivative

Started doing this in calculus. It's actually really fun. It feels almost like programming. And that's my random statement of the day.
[15 replies] Last: I never use the quotient rule. I always use the product rule with a ne... (by LB)
by PradsN
Writing my own programming language

Hello, I have been working on this project for some months now and I want to show it to other people. Basically speaking, it's a programming language which ca...
[1 reply] : That's a cool project. The 1516 line switch statement was a little bit... (by ascii)
Linux distros

I just bought a new computer and I was seriously considering running a Linux OS on it. I have been researching Ubuntu Linux as a start, and would like to know a...
[15 replies] Last: Linux in general has poor support for NVidia, particularly if you have... (by ascii)
should i start with direct x?? (1,2)

I had a previous post saying how i can't wait to learn direct x. However people have been saying it's not good for a beginner to learn direct x. Can u give me s...
[21 replies] Last: I found this tutorial using SFML to make a pong clone, pretty good, bu... (by twiggystardust)
Why would anyone pay for Windows or *gulp* Mac when Linux distros are free and equivalent? (1,2)

Virtually anything you can do with Windows/Mac can be done with a Linux comparable distro or GUI OS. Linux keeps growing and it's price always remains free, and...
[38 replies] Last: C++ .com has lots of money, I've heard of trolls that have 'disappeare... (by devonrevenge)
Code not working ... please review!

So I tried everything, and it just won't compile. I don't get errors, but nothing happens! Here's the full source: %INCLUDING "STACK.h" extern call...
[no replies]
How are time slicing, multitasking kernels implemented?

They set the PIT to generate clock interrupts every, say, 10 ms, and switch tasks whenever a clock interrupt occurs. The way they pick the task is where it gets...
[1 reply] : As chris has said, there's lots of different ways to do this, and each... (by ResidentBiscuit)
Audio and multi-threading

so i know i can do both of those things in sfml, but i cant ever get it to install right so i wondered if there was already an implementation available that let...
[3 replies] Last: http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialPosixThreads.html is a p... (by drew887)
Lotto simulation, comment please

A real simulation on how gambling wastes money main.cpp #include <iostream> #include <cstdio> #include <cstdlib> #include <ctime> #include "concor.h" usin...
[12 replies] Last: What are we talking about again... Just comments on how it works ple... (by greenleaf800073)
How are GUIs made for operating systems?

[edit: I didn't make this thread, looks like the OP got reported, deleted his post, had is account deactivated or deactivated it himself] They're the same as a...
[1 reply] : I guess it was it >:) (by devonrevenge)
Audio Visualizers

Has anyone ever seen those cool programs that "listen" to an audio stream (typically music) and then generate a visual pattern based on the audio? I'm looking t...
[6 replies] Last: @Zereo: You ninja'd me! Thanks for the replies! I'll be sure to check... (by ModShop)
I'm really excited to learn direct x.

I have nearly finished learning the basics of c++ pointers , classes etc. And i can't wait to start actually making my own games instead on making text games.
[3 replies] Last: Another vote for the SFML camp here. SFML also makes it really easy ... (by MrHutch)
by Huck
Programming in Windows 8

Howdy! I'm currently in the process of selling my old decrepit mac and setting up a new desktop. I've got all of my specs figured out, and the only thing left t...
[11 replies] Last: I wonder when it will be called Windows API by developers * like it... (by closed account z05DSL3A)
In languages like C/C++, your source code doesn't really do anything....

I just realized that when you write C/C++ code or the like, it just keeps the code and data stored in object files for execution, but doesn't do anything. A ...
[15 replies] Last: what was the point in that? does it have any c++ powers? (by devonrevenge)
Are there any good sites for Hex

Hi, Are there any good sites for Hexadecimal conversion? Thanks.
[5 replies] Last: +1 for wolfram. It'll solve all your problems ever. (by ResidentBiscuit)
I have had a brief look at J, Haskell, D and a good look at c# & Python, how did java get so popular?

was it in the right place at the right time? like a gap in the market or is it the most powerful easy language or what?
[5 replies] Last: HAH, i had no idea java was so flawed (by devonrevenge)
Android Development

I have just started developing the android app here: http://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/building-ui.html And am stuck at that exact link. Wh...
[4 replies] Last: @Script Coder I have a sinking feeling Harmony will be banned soon. So... (by BHX)
Is computer programming really the best thing in the world? (1,2)

Developing the software is the best part. Spending money is boring. If one did develop the next Windows, they'd probably be too preoccupied with the money one m...
[21 replies] Last: What does Bjarne have to do with Gates? Windows is coded in C last I k... (by BHX)
Something in my head broke and i cant get into learning, how do you fix this

Is it possible a tiny spot of brain-damage can make you unlearn everything? Just cant sit still work and learn anything, nothing I do works, Somethings wron...
[12 replies] Last: A change of pace may help. (by BHX)
by Veltas
How to disable???

I use my computer a lot and it can be very useful getting work PDFs and stuff up, but unfortunately it keeps distracting me too with unhelpful stuff like YouTub...
[6 replies] Last: Actually, I SpaceBook, but I suppose that still works; thanks for the ... (by Veltas)
February 2013 Pages: 123... 7
  Archived months: [jan2013] [mar2013]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.